These shocks any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These shocks any good?

Dunno about 'em - Air suspension? Are they also oil filled?

Would they be worth it?

looks pretty

Comment

Chinese. Been selling them on eBay (usin the same pics no less) under different names (posh racing, etc) for a few years. They're scooter shocks. Cheap metal, and from all accounts rather dangerous.
      I read a few threads regarding them as I was considering a set myself years ago. One gent said "his buddy had fitted them and they failed catastrophically" causing quite a crash. I think Mackenzie on the board here bought a set and fiddled with them a bit after realizing the mounts were cast cheap crap and made them useable.... I wouldn't put them on a big heavy GS if you gave em to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-5-Pair-Ai...#ht_2680wt_756

Dunno about 'em - Air suspension? Are they also oil filled?

Would they be worth it?
        I did a quick Google search (see some links below) Most opinions appear to be that they are Chinese junk. Have a look for yourself.

RFY shocks (piggyback) on ebay,they sure look good as well as the price but I am worried about the quality.Has anyone tried them? I would think they would be...

anyone use these for a build? ive got a cb360 and suspension is coming next, think they would hold up? ive googled the weight of the warrior and banshee and they are both about 380-400 lbs...

-Dave
        82 GS1100E
        five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
        Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad I checked with you guys! They looked too good to be true... I was thinking to get a piggy back style like that. Like the ones that came on some older cb 900 honda's... I'm thinking if I could find a set like that it'd look pretty trick on this build.
          But then again - they'd be ragged out old shocks... not sure if they're worth it.

Comment

Check out Marzocchi rear shocks. They're completely rebuildable so there's no need to get some ragged out ones.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

found these on ebay.....don't know if there are any good

RB

Comment

Cool but shipping from England probably would cost a good amount. They're priced pretty fairly. How easy is to find the rebuildable parts for it?

Comment

He says no international shipping.

Daniel

Comment

Here's your repair kit. Does both shocks:

79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you want GOOD piggy back, has charged, oil shocks that are rebuild able and re-valve-able (don't need any of this but it just increases longevity) I have a set of KYB piggies off a ZRX I'll sell for what you'd pay for a set of new progressives or Ikons roughly. They're eye to eye mount.

Comment

You've got my attention, now to make the pocketbook follow.... I'd need to save up on the moto fund so if you're in no rush I could take you up on that. I'm 250 and put a set of harley shocks on there but would like more adjustability. Also would need to adress the front suspension. Oh and get it running lol...

Comment

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
                          You've got my attention, now to make the pocketbook follow.... I'd need to save up on the moto fund so if you're in no rush I could take you up on that. I'm 250 and put a set of harley shocks on there but would like more adjustability. Also would need to adress the front suspension. Oh and get it running lol...
                          They're not going anywhere at the moment and if I don't find a taker it won't hurt my feelings to hang on to em for a project of my own at some point either, but of someone wants em, at the moment, they're just collecting dust on the spares shelves in the garage. They're great shocks. I just replaced them with the same set from an earlier model ZRX because they were sprung stiffer on the 1100 iterations for some reason. People actually complained they were over-sprung, and that's probably a first for a Japanese bike. Heh. And since Rex sees occasional two up long distance duty, or luggage, or both, I like having the extra spring strength. They have both compression and rebound adjustment, as well as preload adjustment. The ZRX tips the scales at around 540lbs wet, so it's on par with a GS for weight. At least the large ones. Your 550 might find them quite fantastic actually. And I weigh the same as you roughly. Oh, and they're 14.5" which is about an inch longer than stock, which will quicken up the steering a touch (a must on every GS I've owned...they always get fitted with longer shocks) which is right up a cafe racers alley

Comment

Working...
                          X