drag racing sprocket recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag racing sprocket recommendations

My son is going to be running his 82 gs1100 at the track this year. He says it is a 1166 motor w/Yosh stage 2 cams, some minor headwork, pipe & jetting. The bike has a 6" over swingarm & has been lowered so he should be able to launch pretty aggressively.

What is your best front & back sprocket recommendation for the quarter mile?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
    My son is going to be running his 82 gs1100 at the track this year. He says it is a 1166 motor w/Yosh stage 2 cams, some minor headwork, pipe & jetting. The bike has a 6" over swingarm & has been lowered so he should be able to launch pretty aggressively.

What is your best front & back sprocket recommendation for the quarter mile?
    I can't give a number off the top of my head, but when I was racing we used a ratio that would top out 4th gear as we crossed the finish...
    At one time I had an excel calculator that would give you that information...I got it from someone over at the dragbike.com forums
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

your gonna need a couple options for trial and error but i would start with stock gearing unless he,s gonna put a bar on it.

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
        your gonna need a couple options for trial and error but i would start with stock gearing unless he,s gonna put a bar on it.
        I should have added, we raced a gs1000 bracket bike for several years with a bar so we are no strangers to launching although I know running with no bar is a different animal.
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Don't go smaller than 15 on the front as it kills the chain. I would go 15/48 & bet it gets you pretty close. Ray.

Comment

are you going to run it as a 5 speed or 4 speed?

I'd advise starting at a 14/46 -14/43 and run it as a 5 speed.

a 15/48~15/46 will be a big slow pig to launch (clutch killer too) and you probably won't pull all 5 gears in 1320 feet until you get more power.

I helped belucci drop almost 0.5 second when he went from a 15 to a 14 on his 1166 bike last year-- cant remember the rear sproket size -- maybe he will chime in
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X