Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L to crazy cool looking bike

Hi,
    I found this GS1000 on line and thought I'd ask what he did to the air intake into the engine.

Here is his.....

and here is mine.

Saw on the top 10 mistakes for newbies(http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846) the following....

"Trying to run the bike without the airbox...or installing pods, or a header, w/o rejetting. The air/fuel ratio will be drastically lean, which will not only cause running problems, but likely damage the engine too by causing it to run hot. Installing a free flowing exhaust will likewise change the jetting requirements, but not as drastically as pods."

Is that what this guy did?

thanks...love the look. although I think his front forks are a little low eh?ha ha

Those are pods. Based on the quality of the build I assume he re-jetted the carbs to accommodate the reduction in restriction.

Comment

Yes, those are what we call "pod" filters. No telling whether the carbs were re-jetted, but it's possible.

Yeah, the forks are low, they appear to be cut down, limiting the travel.
      Some guys will do just about anything for a "look", regardless of what it does to handling.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The forks have been raised a few inches in the Triples.

Daniel

Comment

That's a very cool looking bike! I love the look but like suspension too.

Comment

Also, those arn't L forks.

And seat is made out of a hand bag.

Comment

That's only good for riding down to the local bar and ****ing off all his neighbors

Probably an art project and not much of a rider
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
                And seat is made out of a hand bag.
                I almost pi$$ed myself laughing

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                  I almost pi$$ed myself laughing
                  It's sad but true.

More pics on pipeburn, here:http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/5/...ki-gs1000.html

Comment

Sorry a$$ comments on there defending the bike also, art is one thing, but to defend the lack of safety, those forks tops are just waiting to tear someone a new face in a sudden stop, faceplant=face hamburger.

Comment

ha you guys are funny! so about the "pod" filters...forget the crazy front forks ha ha Is that recommended/ not recommended, if I rip off the airbox from my bike and just plug in those pods what would happen? am I showing my newbie"ness"
                      learning r e a l l y s l o w l y ......love the forum, thx

Comment

Originally posted by speedorchid View Post
                        ha you guys are funny! so about the "pod" filters...forget the crazy front forks ha ha Is that recommended/ not recommended, if I rip off the airbox from my bike and just plug in those pods what would happen? am I showing my newbie"ness"
                        learning r e a l l y s l o w l y ......love the forum, thx
                        That would be a massive mistake if you don't plan on completely re-jetting the carburetors for it.
                        Free flowing filters like pods allow a greater amount of air into the system than the stock airbox does. More air requires more fuel to burn at the optimum temperature. That means the jet sizes need to be increased and usually the needles either need to be adjusted or replaced with a needle with a faster taper.

If you were to put pods on your bike without re-jetting, IF it would run at all, it would run poorly, missing and spitting, and likely falling on its face when it moved into the needle and main circuits of the carbs. It would also have a very lean fuel-air mix, creating a very hot burn in the combustion chamber leading to possibly catastrophic damage to the engine (burnt valves, holed piston crowns, etc).

It is often recommended, quite smartly, to get the bike running correctly in stock form before making any engine/carburetor/exhaust system modifications. It's important to start from a level playing field, with an idea of how the bike is supposed to run, before adjusting anything. Trying to do these things without both a decent knowledge of what you need to do and what you're getting into, as well as how the bike performs currently and how it should perform after the modifications is simply setting yourself up for a great deal of frustration, expensive mistakes, and worse yet, reduced riding time and enjoyment of ownership.

Comment

ok thanks for the reply...By the way why am I on this forum at 4am? slight addiction I think. The airbox stays! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by speedorchid View Post
                            ok thanks for the reply...By the way why am I on this forum at 4am? slight addiction I think. The airbox stays! ;-)
                            Because you are sick, of course. You fit right in.
                            To restate what TCK said, first get it running correctly with the airbox. Once you do that, you can install pods with a DynoJet jet kit: http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/suzuki.aspx
                            Stage 1 is for a bike with just pods or a pipe, Stage 3 is for a bike with pods and a pipe and also contains the Stage 1 jets.
                            Once correctly jetted, it will provide more performance (and more noise). It is not rocket science, and BassCliff's site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ has a link on how to use plug chops to get the jetting close. If you have access to a wideband (a.k.a. sniffer) it is pretty easy. A dyno is also useful for jetting.
                            Click on the link below for lots of discussions on how your carbs work and ideas on how to rejet your Mikuni carbs.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=...w=1295&bih=613

Comment

Putting pods on makes it a hell of alot easier to pull the carbs for periodic cleaning. It makes it run ten times better than that restrictive air box. Jetting them is easy. Take it from a drag racer that has been racing these since the early 80`s.

Comment

Working...
                              X