GS1000L to crazy cool looking bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
    Jetting them is easy. Take it from a drag racer that has been racing these since the early 80`s.
    What is easy for an old drag racer may not be possible for a guy with no knowledge of the effect of pods on how a carburetor works.
    His chances of getting the jetting perfect or even close without help are slim to none.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, very cool looking bike and how about that seat.

"Crushed nuts with your sundae Sir"

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
        Putting pods on makes it a hell of alot easier to pull the carbs for periodic cleaning.
        I have often wondered why you guys keep taking your carbs off, now I know.

Just curious, though, what am I doing wrong?
        The carbs on my wife's bike were on the bike for SIX YEARS after being rebuilt. The only filters I have in the fuel system are the stock mesh filter on the petcock intake and the little screens on the tops of the float valves. The bike is ridden regularly during the summer months, then winterized before parking it for the winter. When ridden responsibly, it still gets over 50mpg and starts almost immediately every time.

The only reason I took the carbs off last year was to replace the upper-end gaskets on the engine. Just out of principle, I dipped them and replaced the o-rings, but it probably was not necessary.

By the way, just how often is your "periodic cleaning"?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dont like the look of it, i dont like the look of L model either even if i own one.
          Here is mine, I will put madura1200 wire wheel on it before the spring.
          marc
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            What is easy for an old drag racer may not be possible for a guy with no knowledge of the effect of pods on how a carburetor works.
            His chances of getting the jetting perfect or even close without help are slim to none.
            I respectfully disagree. If he reads and understands the info on the sites I pointed him to he will have an excellent shot at jetting it pretty close. If he uses a wideband he will be spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              how often is your "periodic cleaning"?
              I sorta did mine..... once in the last 30 years. It had some gummy gas in them so I took em off and soaked em in a bucket of solvent. After that......never.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I like your bike a LOT better than his. Nice ride!
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  With all of the help and knowledge on this site he has a great chance. I give him credit for thinking about trying it on his own,there should be MORE people like this "THIS IS HOW YOU LEARN".
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    I respectfully disagree. If he reads and understands the info on the sites I pointed him to he will have an excellent shot at jetting it pretty close. If he uses a wideband he will be spot on.
                    Here Here

Comment

I went with a basic De-L-ing process
                      swap to straight forks
                      swap bars
                      add rear sets and less ugly seat cover.

It still looks a little odd but it gets me around..
                      The rear fender /tail light still bug me.. That and the giant gap between the neck and the tank.

From this

to this

Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                        I went with a basic De-L-ing process
                        swap to straight forks
                        swap bars
                        add rear sets and less ugly seat cover.

It still looks a little odd but it gets me around..
                        The rear fender /tail light still bug me.. That and the giant gap between the neck and the tank.

From this

to this

I have never physically tried it, but I've looked at it numerous times and I'm of the opinion that you could mount an "E" tank to many of the "L" frames. Under those plastic frame covers on many of the "L" models you'll see a hole on each side of the frame. This looks to be where the studs that the rubber bumpers that you put your tank over would have gone on an "E" model vs further back on the frame like your "L". If one measured correctly, and ran a peice of "all-thread" through the frame with nuts tightened to hold it in place, and enough left sticking out to simulate the studs for the rubber bumpers, you could see if it would work. Then if it does, get the all-thread welded into place (or for a cleaner, stock look, some steel rod) and bobs your mothers brother.

Comment

THe front tank mounts are just half the problem with putting an E tank on an L.

Next you have to move the rear mount.

then you have to deal with the seat because the E tank is something like 3 inches longer than the L so you would have to somehow shorten the seat.

Add to that the price of an E tank if you can find one.

In the end it's better just to go buy an E.. I did

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                            I like your bike a LOT better than his. Nice ride!

Ha Thanks Allie...It's my first GS that bought to learn how to take things apart ....slowly falling in love, can;t wait for the winter to end!!!

Comment

Now there's some great advice!

E or G, it's all good.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

THe front tank mounts are just half the problem with putting an E tank on an L.

Next you have to move the rear mount.

then you have to deal with the seat because the E tank is something like 3 inches longer than the L so you would have to somehow shorten the seat.

Add to that the price of an E tank if you can find one.

I think I have an e tank as well from a parts bike....

a few tanks that I'm tryin gto make fit...that thin one is from a yamaha...I was told to try and dent it on the inside to make it fit...hmmmm

not sure...

exhaust off and waiting to be painted...had to grind and sand off rust. Wish I could get my hands on a nicely chromed 4 -2 or even better 4-4..

i need a double car garage...

;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X