GPS Mount, specifically RAM brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Mount, specifically RAM brand

Hope I chose the best forum. I have a GARMIN nuvi 755T GPS. Mounting it on my 1981 GS850G. I need a mount that rises it about 3-3.5 inches above the handlebar so as to avoid bumping into my tank bag which is what happens with the sturdy but short mount I had just gotten when I turn my handlebars to the left.

RAM mounts were suggested to me from a GARMIN GPS users forum but the manufacturer's mount application chart doesn't go back farther than 1991.

Has anyone used one of the RAM mounts on this bike? If so which mount application did you use? Also if anyone has used one AND found it problematic, especially in the issue of the GPS drooping down on the ball mount PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

DH

Ram mounts rock. You'll have no drooping problems at all.

Just get the kit for 7/8" handlebars. Choose a 2005 Bandit or something like that (any bike with 7/8" tubular handlebars) in their stupid interface.

Or, there's a kit that mounts a ball onto the clamp for your front brake master cylinder. That's what's on my GS850. You lose a little flexibility with the mirror stem in the way, but it's a neat and clean install.
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have the RAM mount on my '79 GS550L. It works great. The way it is designed, it is super easy to clip the GPS on and off of the bike, but it holds it extremely sturdy. I am not worried in the slightest about my GPS leaving the motorcycle and ending up as a pile of trash on the highway.

This is the mount I used.

I had to buy this though since I have a Nuvi 205W instead of a 205.

Comment

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
        I have the RAM mount on my '79 GS550L. It works great. The way it is designed, it is super easy to clip the GPS on and off of the bike, but it holds it extremely sturdy. I am not worried in the slightest about my GPS leaving the motorcycle and ending up as a pile of trash on the highway.

This is the mount I used.

I had to buy this though since I have a Nuvi 205W instead of a 205.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AN1FJ0/
        Thanks, that's the one I chose to go with (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IUY3AE/[/url])
        Ordered from mountguys.com as I had to return a nice simple cheaper one but couldn't make it work. $34.88 delivered. Certain it will be great,
        Thanks to all,
        DH

Comment

Did you make sure to get the Nuvi 775 clip for it?

Comment

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
            Did you make sure to get the Nuvi 775 clip for it?

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-S.../dp/B001W3Y5PA
            Yes, checked both with RAM & Mount Guys. This is the detail:

RAM-B-149Z-GA26 RAM Motorcycle Mount for Garmin Nuvi 750 755T 760 765T 770 775T 780 785T GPS
            1 $34.88 $34.88
            DSC-40 Free US Shipping
            1 $0.00 $0.00

Thanks.

DH

Comment

+1 for the RAM mount. Easy to adjust on the fly if need be and holds the GPS very firmly.

Comment

Working...
              X