bst carbs onto 850 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bst carbs onto 850 head

so I bought a 91 gsxr750 basketcase a week or so ago, and in one of the boxes of parts was a set of mid 90's kat carbs, near as I can tell. they are identical to the gsxr carbs on the outside but have 33mm throats instead of 36mm. out of curiosity I held them up to the 850 head I have and lo and behold the port spacing is spot on.

so... does anyone know if there are carb holders that will let me mount the 42mm o.d. carbs to the 850 head? the gsxr holders are offset and I dont think they would seal with part of the oring exposed.

looking to use this setup when I do the 850 conversion instead of using the 750 head/vm carb setup.

Can you make your own?
    A small piece of flat stock or aluminum angle would work.
    Unless you really pump up the 850, it would be a waste of those carbs though.

Eric

Comment

So these are still vacuum carbs no? Radial slide? Other than being more modern in design I don't see the benifit of using them. They're only 1mm over size. Also many of those carbs had problems with the plastic guides for the slides wearing out or something to that effect. Posplayr has a tutorial on rebuilding them using metal I believe.
      I will say that in at least the case of the 16v heads, bumping up from 32s to 34s or 34s to 36s can breathe a bit of life into them, but I dunno that the 8v heads breathed well enough for it to be an effective upgrade on its own. The head will always be the bottle neck.

Comment

well the idea behind the slinshot carbs is.... I dont have bs carbs for the 850 head. I do have 2 banks of slingshots though. I thought that being only 1mm over stock and matching the port diameter it would be an appropriate kinda thing to do, and I got 2 sets of k&n filters, one cone for the gsxr airbox and a set of pods for the slingys.
        plus with the extra head I can see about a port and polish, 3angle valve job (glad I still have those cutters from my small engine days!) and such without worrying too much about screwing up something I need.

and most importantly: because I havnt seen another 8v gs with them. boontoon mike used something similar but...

Comment

soo.. about those intake boots/carb holders... anyone have any suggestions?
          or can someone direct me to someplace that I can check info on a wide variety of the various intake boots used over the years.

mostly I was asking if, say, the intakes for bs36ss or something would fit the carbs.

Comment

Working...
          X