Mono shocked GS's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mono shocked GS's

I would like to see some pics of custom GS's with mono swingers. I have mine mounted and brackets tacked in place for the linkage. 1979GS750E is what it used to be before an aquaintance wrecked it. I plan on changing the angle of the tank and I cut the entire rear frame off at the loop. I'm going for upswept tank and tail with dual under the tail exhaust. I also have 16"-19" spokes or 18"-19" mags. For the exhaust I'm cutting up my rusty Yosh pipe. I'll post pics soon of the rolling chassis.

Sounds like a cool project, looking forward to the pics! As for me I would put a 17X3.5" rim on that spoked front wheel...

Comment

Here is a pic of frame. Suspension is tacked in place, but I need to install the engine and tank to set the final position of the rear frame seat area. I'm kinda fond of the streetfighter look, but I don't want my tail WAY up in the air.http://groups.msn.com/suzukigsowners...oto&photoid=13

Comment

Swanny was doing one, Here is a link to his pictures

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

And a link to his thread

Comment

The swingarm is off a GR650, which I have 2 sets(shock and linkage). The width is the same at the frame. What I did is ream the frame hole to .625" and cut the frame out where the mounts for the linkage are and modified it to fit on my frame. I will add gussets to strengthen the joints. Tacked in I can work the suspension up and down because the forces go straight into the frame. I will post more detailed pics when I get time. This is a pretty simple change. The only thing I have to source out will be the new swinger bolt.
          Any info on what grade of steel to use and if case hardening is necessary would be appreciated.
          I plan on modding the extra swinger in length and maybe width so I can run as big a tire as the frame will let me. :twisted:

Comment

I'm also going to use the gas tank in the background as part of the seat/tail section. Got's to get use from the old dented up stuff somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by gstaylor
              I'm also going to use the gas tank in the background as part of the seat/tail section. Got's to get use from the old dented up stuff somehow!
              That should be very interesting. Please be sure to post some pictures of that when you are done with it. I want to see that for sure

Comment

mono schocked gs's

Hi there, sounds like a nice project. I just finished monoschocking my '79 GS750 with a complete FZR600 rear end and FZR1000 shock. It fits into the frame with 2mm play at both sides of the swingarm to fill up, and the sprockets line up as if intended that way. I changed to 530 chain/sprox too. I used the mainstand mounting points for the bottom linkage, and welded in a bar at the right height for the top mount of the shock. The original battery box can stay but the regulator as to be moved from its underside to the side. All early swingarms will fit but I used one off a '92 model which has a nice and strong deltabox shape and uses the slightly wider 4 inch wheel, on which I'm running a 160/60-18 tyre. Yes I know it's a little wide but my machine is going to be used in a straight line with its 1166 katana motor. Good luck!

Comment

Blasted SNOW in March! I need some warm weather please. I'm working on the bike outside and it too darn cold.

Comment

There was a monoshocked Gs1000 in Streetfighters magazine a few issues back, did you see that?

Comment

Missed it. Don't see SFM in the states. At least not where I live.

Comment

Another Mono out there.

It's good to see someone else wandering down the mono trail. I've been working on a 77 gs-750 off and on for about 4 years. I pick up a part here, and a part there. It seems the longer I wait, the more ideas I come up with. The down side of course is that I have nothing to ride in the mean time

With any luck, it'll be on the road this year.

My major concern - Insurance. Will my insurance company care that I've made so many modifications?

Comment

What is the tank off of, and how is the fit. I've been looking for a tank, but not sure if I want a newer GS, sportbike, or GS shaftie tank(larger capacity). Where is the petcock located on that tank, looks like you could have low level fuel problems. You're bike is a little more radical than I'm going for right now. I'm selling my Volusia so I have to get this one going SOON.

Comment

phart,
                            how did you get that exhaust to fit, i was just at the hindle site and they don't have any exhausts for your motor.

oh bike is looking great, what did you have to do to the steering head to get the invert forks to fit?

-ryan
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                            X