No announcement yet.

higher speed top end power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd gear at 7000 rpm is just hitting the good part of your power band, don't worry about trying to get back up to 5th so fast - that's your cruising gear. The fun stuff is down low.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mate you're not going to keep up with them. They're just faster no matter what you do. Heaps more power, lighter and better handling. Relax and enjoy your 850 as it is - a very good bike of it's time with a load of character.
      1979 GS750E

Comment

Ok ok gs850cafe... seriously.

Here-in lies carb-tuning.

Considering THIS:

...is your bike... you've got the stock air box (good boy) and CV carbs. So, you should look into jetting as your main culprit... Either drop a main size and lower your needles 1 ring and give that a try, or try running a drop-in K&N filter.

You need to lean it out a bit for higher speeds... Who cares how the bike idles... as long as the carbs are balanced, you're not burning holes in pistons and not blackening out your spark plugs... you're tuned.

As for wheelieing, you REALLY need to put your left foot on the rear passanger peg, keep your right foot over the brake, stand a little like squatting, roll around 10mph, fist full of clutch, rip the throttle to 9k rpm, dump the clutch and let the bike come to you.

Sorry... I had to.

This is the BEST stunt video on YouTube. "AS SEEN ON COMPUTER TV" lol. Now under 10 mins with some edits and in technocolor!!More funny lines than Napoleo...

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          ok so people should tell me they dont understand...vs posting crap assuming stuff..

i usually came out of corners at about 5-6k rpm...just seemed like it took forever to get back to 5th...now if we hit some sharp corners say im in 3rd...well 3-rd to mid 4th isnt to bad...after that its sluggish..
          If you are sport riding, why are you shifting to 5th gear at 5-6 k drop 2 gears and keep the bike happy you are up shifting just as you start to wake the bike up. It really starts to wake up at 6k and you are up shifting, bring it up to 8000-8500 and ride it. It will go , but you still are not going to run with a late model sport bike no how, no where if the guys on the sport bikes can ride.As far as wheelies are concerned, a shaft bike is not the best choice, yes they will wheelie, do they like it NO, final drives, rear splines, fork seals, all take a pounding.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Keeping up with an R1 or CBR of any size is not going to happen. Even a little 600cc super sport puts out more power than your 850. Maybe not as much torque.
            Not only do they put out more power, they weigh at least 100 pounds less, too.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            120 on the main?? What's stock 112.5? 115? That seems as though it may be a bit too large for just a pipe.
            That's what is in #2 son's bike, TCK, it does just fine. 115 is stock, so it's only two sizes (or is that two half sizes?) up.

GS850cafe, if you look in my sig, you will see that I have a few 850s around here, but most of them are bone-stock, as far as the engine goes. Yeah, they are big, heavy and not particularly powerful, but like others have said, ridden well, they will keep up with so-so riders on better bikes.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With pods and stock exhaust, all that I had to do to my 850, at 4,500+ feet riding elevation, was raise the main jets to 117.5's
              I could see using 120's at Sea level with just a pipe. Perhaps even 122.5''s

Eric

Comment

I'm running 120s with pipe and k&n drop in.

Comment

Hi GS,

As my father told me '' speed costs $$$$$$. You wanna go faster??? Give the buggers more $$$$$$."

Richard

Comment

yay some good answers lol...

im about 1300 above sea level..the bike dont really run to bad with 120;s (says the plugs at least)

also i have a uni foam filter (was in it when i got it)

an yes i have stock airbox...dont really want pods...yet at least

but i do have the 4-1 header...which sounds very good imo..i also have a custom made baffle so its not all open

Comment

Originally posted by rich001 View Post
                      Hi GS,

As my father told me '' speed costs $$$$$$. You wanna go faster??? Give the buggers more $$$$$$."

Richard
                      kinda like i tell the 250 riders when they wanna go faster...get a bigger bike...which also falls in my case but my 850 does the job for now

Comment

You appear to have taken offence to some of the humorous remarks
                        that's too bad, but ask a silly question, get a silly answer
                        all that aside....
                        You have to let it out, shift to a lower gear, 6k should be the lowest rpm you see, leave it in one gear and ride the torgue curve don't worry about overeving, you can't hurt that motor, let it scream.
                        double the rpm = double the HP
                        however it will accelerate faster as you ride it off the cliff,
                        nice badass photo too, but you are wearing the wrong kind of biking shorts....maybe crop it a little tighter
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

see i was kinda afraid of hurtin the motor..i tired it earlier an yes its a noticable increase..

yes i know i look silly in a nice jacket with shorts on...but it gets so damn hot sometimes i dont wanna wear pants

Comment

Working...
                          X