How to make your '82-'83 1100E more comfortable if you're 6' or taller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make your '82-'83 1100E more comfortable if you're 6' or taller

As you have figured out by now, Jap bikes are made for small frame riders whereas U.S. and Euro bikes are made for larger frame riders. So if you're 6' or taller w/ 32" or longer inseam and w/ size 12 or larger shoes you're gonna need a full body massage after riding a Jap bike for more than an hour at a time. I shopped around for an '83 GS1100E for over a year and finally found one last month to replace my beloved Vmax. Not as scary fast but fast enough and about 150 lbs lighter making it alot safer!!! it was a 2 hr ride home w/ a few hours break in between but i'm still recouperating from that ride. i had aches and pains from my lower back down to my freakin' knees. ok, i'm 53 and my body isn't what it used but this bike is ridiculously painful to ride in stock form. i'm only 6'tall, 32" inseam , and size 12 shoes. some of you guys are 6"4 w size 15 shoes and i don't know how you can ride this bike for more than a few minutes before cramping up. anyway, i decided to do few mods to make the bike "RIDEABLE".

1. added 1" risers purchased on ebay for around $25 shipped. could have gone higher and back more but i didn't want to spend too much and i didn;t want to buy longer cables etc. all i had to do was re-route the throttle cable
    2. added hiway pegs pruchased on ebay for around $25 shipped. i first installed them high on the crash bars but found more comfy mounted lower.
    3. adjusted rear progressive shocks to stiffest setting to raise the seat which gains about 1/2" or so.
    4. thought about buying those buell pegs that the busa owners use to drop it 1" but again, didn;t want to spend much and didn;t want to spend time grinding them down to fit. instead i removed the rubber pads which gains 1/2" - 3/4" (i didn;t measure them, just guessing by sight). then cut 2 pieces of bicycle inner tube and fit them over the pegs for traction.

i went for a 2 hr round trip ride today w/ a few hours break in betw and all was fine!!! finally i can enjoy the bike. otherwise, i was going to have to sell it. the other mod i'm going to try is ditch the gear shifter w/ linkage for a shifter from an older 1000/1100 (purchased on ebay for $10 sat which should arrive in a day or two) mounted directly on the shaft which is about 5-6" forward. currently, my size 12 shoe makes shifting awkward and painful especially riding in town where i'm constantly shifting. i'll post later this week to let you guys know if it works.

i've gotten alot of good tips and invaluable repair procedures from you guys over the years (used to have an 850G) so i thought i'd return the favor. i know most of what i'm suggesting you guys already knew but i've yet to read about removing the rubber pads on the foot pegs. and you've got to admit the inner tube mod is pretty slick and CHEAP!!! and lastly...... can you tell i'm cheap and i love ebay???!!! peace to everyone and safe riding.

I change my handlebars depending on how long I ride. For the most part I am riding downtown philly. My current set up is superbike handlebars and corbin for downtown, inner city riding. Stock bars and stock seat for longer trips.

I am 6' 32 waist and also wear a size 12 boot. I don't seem to have much issue with the shifter, but curious to know how your mod works out.

I have to say, my biggest issue at the moment is the seat. both the stock and and the corbin aren't very comfortable for long trips. It's bothersome. I really don't want to spend money on repadding the seat. Looking into "seat pad" options.

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm only 5'11", wear a size 9 shoe, and I'm 59. But I think my '82 GS1100E is a really nice comfortable ride, I don't think I've ridden it any more than 5 hours straight, but my butt wasn't too sore. The only complaint I have is the tingling in my hands from the handlebar vibration, as they're not rubber mounted like my GS1000E. Other than that the ergonomics fit me just fine.
      Hope you can make yours more comfortable.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

come to think of it, i noticed some tingling in my left hand this afternoon and vibration from the hiway pegs at certain speeds. just when i got it to fit right other issues pop up. most if not all issues can be corrected but my thing is always cost. if i have to spend tons of money to make it fit me right w/ no vibration i'd be better off spending more money and getting a bmw k1200rs sport tourer w/ 130 hp w/ adjustable seat & pegs. those bikes sit high to begin w/ so i know i won't have fitment issues. and the power palnt is silky smooth like butter. but i love reliable old school bikes that run fast & look good. i have a corbin for my 1100e but it's much too low. my stock seat provides decent comfort but the 30 yr old foam is inferior to the newer gel seats. i've thought about the pads that go over the seat w/ straps. should add some comfort & a bit more height but i'm not crazy about the look. i guess my solution would be to ride less. NOT!!!!

Comment

I'm nearly 6'4 with a 32" inseam and size 13 feet and find GSes to be quite comfortable. I suppose it just depends on how you ride and your preferred seating posture. I always put euro/Daytona or superbike bars on my GSes, and tend to ride in a more "sport" orientation, leaning forward slightly and moving a lot in the seat when attacking twisties.
          I ran a Corbin on my 83 1100ES and found it much more comfortable than the stock seat.

But now that I think about it, I'm more what you'd call "long waisted". Meaning my torso is a bit longer in proportion to my legs so that may be why it doesn't bug me much. The only pain I feel generally is in my knees and hips after a 300 mile or more day, but I've got arthritis in both so sitting in any position for that length of time tends to make it bothersome. I don't mind it though. The smiles for miles are great pain killers

Comment

the other thing i did was wear the flatest shoe i have which is like a mocassin which probably shaves off another 1/2". evrything combined made a huge difference for me. riding posture definitely plays into it but i believe the seat is probably the most importanr . the bmw guys swear by russell day long seats and those guys ride ALL year long up here in the northeast. sargent is another one i hear good things about. but unfortunately neither makes a seat for our bikes. and quite frankly i've never had a corbin seat that was comfy. granted they were the older styles and i suspect they are now using gel other other hi tech materials. maybe the best route is find a good upholstery shop and get a custom seat???

Comment

hey grand rouge, you're an animal!!! i'm a youngster compared to you and my max riding distance is 50 miles at a time. i'm feeling pretty wimpy right now. in my defense, i'm not in the best of shape. i work from home and sit on my ass all day. i have plantar faciliitus (sore foot heel) so even walking is a chore. i also suffer from lower back pain from poor posture, and have gained some weight (last time i checked i was at qround 230 which is way to much for me). i've actually started to do crunches to build up my stomach muscles and core which i've been told will help w/ the lower back pain. i love to ride and love my 1100e but in stock form it was causing me lots of pain. the mods have made it less painful but after reading these posts from guys taller than me, w/ larger feet and longer inseam, i'm beginning to think it's ME!!!! i gotta get off my ass and exercise more so i can ride more. peace.

Comment

Originally posted by browe58 View Post
                hey grand rouge, you're an animal!!! i'm a youngster compared to you and my max riding distance is 50 miles at a time. i'm feeling pretty wimpy right now. in my defense, i'm not in the best of shape. i work from home and sit on my ass all day. i have plantar faciliitus (sore foot heel) so even walking is a chore. i also suffer from lower back pain from poor posture, and have gained some weight (last time i checked i was at qround 230 which is way to much for me). i've actually started to do crunches to build up my stomach muscles and core which i've been told will help w/ the lower back pain. i love to ride and love my 1100e but in stock form it was causing me lots of pain. the mods have made it less painful but after reading these posts from guys taller than me, w/ larger feet and longer inseam, i'm beginning to think it's ME!!!! i gotta get off my ass and exercise more so i can ride more. peace.

No doubt there's a certain amount of physical activity involved in riding a bike. Pulling in of the clutch lever, shifting with your foot, twisting of the throttle, squeezing the brakes, putting the bike on the centerstand. Doesn't sound like much, but you'll probably feel the cumulative effects of a long ride the next day. For me the problem has been cramping of the legs, but not lately. The more I ride the more all those little aches and pains go away. The same will probably work for you.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Best thing I ever did to my 1980 gs850L was put on a "G" (Huge) tank, which forced me to move the seat back, which gave my legs and arms more room. I'm 6'1 and have always felt cramped or too close to the front of most Jap bikes that are stock. Now I can stretchout, and utilize the highway bars I installed. I commute 30-40 minutes everyday (today 1 1/2 hours... bad traffic). and it is very comfortable. No more feeling like a bear riding a trike.

Scudder

Comment

I'm 55 and I find my current 1150E and my previous 1150EF to both be quite comfortable. I am 6'1". My last bikes were a V65 Honda (ugh) and a VMax I bought new and they weren't as comfortable as my 1150's. I also had a 79 GS1000 a few years ago and it was okay as well. I still ride 500 miles on the odd day.

Sheldon

Comment

6'3" and I find my gs750 is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on.

Comment

I am now 56 and I have cheated.
                        Yes I love my Suzuki's and have done many of the mods described here in the past 30 odd years.
                        I still ride them, but now only 16 miles round trip to town for coffee with friends. My back is pretty much toast to endure any GS for more than 20 miles.
                        My 4700 mile trip to Deadhorse, AK (Prudoe Bay, AK) was on my BMW R 1150 GS Adventure with 3 inch over stock height Hyperpro suspension and bar risers. I have been told the 38 inch seat height is a pretty good anti theft device. My inseam is 36".
                        Also used an AirHawk on the Corbin for the ride.
                        Did the ride up from Seattle and back to Ancorage Ferry in 3 weeks.
                        When I want to go further on a Suzuki, I use the GSX1100F. About 100 miles and I begin to pine for the BMW.
                        When I was younger and I bought the GS's (1978 - 1985) life was so different then.......
                        So now Suzuki GS for show, BMW GS for go.
                        I am guilty as charged, I cheated.

Comment

May not be as true for the older bikes like ours? but Japanese market bikes are lower than ours.

Comment

Originally posted by icarus View Post
                            6'3" and I find my gs750 is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on.
                            Looks pretty good too.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I have a 36" inseam and both knees have had surgery when I was 23 from a car accident. (The other driver's fault )
                              The Doctors told me that I "would never walk again". (They were WRONG!!!)
                              I add padding to the seats and move the bump back a few inches when they get recovered.
                              Hope that helps.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X