Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best tires for my 83 GS1100E ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best tires for my 83 GS1100E ??

I've done the searching and am having a hard time trying to figure this out.

On my 83 GS1100E the tires size now are
    100/90 19 Front
    and
    130/90 17 Rear

Now I don't do a whole lot of scraping of my pegs so I don't need a real aggresive sport tire. I have always had luck in the past with Dunlop Sport/Touring Elites. I do plan on doing more 2-up riding this year with Donna,so there is that extra factor.
    I've seen some good prices on the Bridgestone Spitfire S11.
    What do you all recommend?
    And what make?
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

The Bridgestone Spitfire will spit itself off on the rear of your 1100E. I know because that's what it's done on my 1100GK -- twice!

On the front, the Spitfire is just fine. Decent performance, good price.

Stick to the K491 on the rear, especially if you'll be doing two-up work this season. I mix and match brands all the time, and never with any problems in handling, etc. So, a Dunlop K491 on back for long life, and a Bridgestone Spitfire up front for good price is a good option.

Right now I have a Bridgestone Spitfire 110/90-19 up front on my GS1100GK, and a Harley Davidson (long story...) 401, size 130/90-16 on the back. They work well together, as they always do.

By the way, I'm not a slowpoke by any means. I put tires through the grinder, though not radically so.

Nick

Comment

I just got Pirelli Sport Demons from Discount Motorcycle Tire & Accessories in Colorado. They have only been available for a couple of years and are supposed to be modern sport touring technology for older bikes. They were a bit cheaper than the Metzeler ME33 and 99. They look like the more modern tires, having a lot less grooves than the 491's, Metzelers, and Bridgestones. I haven't yet ridden on them so I can't say anything about ride, handling, or wear.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Doug,
        I've been running Dunlop GT501's front and rear.

You saw the group I was with last year, no problems on any of the roads.
        With Sharon on the back, no problems. 90 miles of rain, no problems.
        The price is reasonable, like $78 for the front, about $110 for the rear.
        I think I have a 110/90 front and 130 rear. And they wear very well.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I too have been using Dunlops on all my bikes over the years and have always loved them.

Comment

Another thing on the rear spitfire, I had one before and it was ok apart from being slippery in cold weather (as in near zero C), so needed much warming up, if this is a factor.

Comment

Try out Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45's, they are a great compromise between milage and grip. I have one in the front and love it. I used Dunlop K591 R compound for years, unfortunatley they are not available any more. And if you do find one they are probably all dried out. With modern technology tires have improved alot and my BT45 has more grip then the race compound K591 ever had, with the added benefit of durability. 19 inch tires are far and few between with the majority of tires for crusiers in this size. The BT45's are great sport touring tires.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

I had good luck with the 100/90/19 ME33 on the front of my GS850, it has the Vetter package. I went up one size to a 110/90 V /19 150mph rated tire ME33 for super deal $60+9 shipping off ebay should get it this week

Comment

Shoot, i buy the least expensive touring tire I can find in brands I can trust. This has worked well on everything from a 82 GS1100E to a honda CM400 over the years.

The only one I did not skimp on was a VMX1200. That thing could pickle all but the best tires, even driven conservatively. (I did that one day, just to see what it was like. I didn't like it. :twisted: )

Comment

Give a set of Metzlers a try. I think you'll like'em. Iv'e used them on my 1100E for over 10 years and have no complaints.

Comment

Ditto on the Metzler lazer / metronic combo. My 82 1100E rides great with them on.

Comment

Does Dunlop make a set of white letter tires that will work on the 82/83 GS1100E? Always loved the look of those Qualifiers, but not sure if you could get the white letters in 130/90/V17 and 100/90/19.......If I remember correctly, I tried to find these same sizes in a white letter tire for an old Honda V65, and eventually gave up!
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

Make your own, buy a white paint pen.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                            Does Dunlop make a set of white letter tires that will work on the 82/83 GS1100E? Always loved the look of those Qualifiers, but not sure if you could get the white letters in 130/90/V17 and 100/90/19.......If I remember correctly, I tried to find these same sizes in a white letter tire for an old Honda V65, and eventually gave up!
                            My front tire became a Qualifier in white letter but no white letter for the rears:shock:
                            Kind of an odd look

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                            Make your own, buy a white paint pen.

Dink
                            I tried that with the rear tire
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

And a Big Shout Out to 83GS1100E_Tornado
                              for reawaking a thread of mine from 2 years ago:shock: :shock: :shock:
                              Way to search\\/
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                              X