Barnett Clutch extra steel plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnett Clutch extra steel plate?

Just picked up a barnett clutch kit for my GS750. Building an ahrma superbike for racing. The barnett kit has 8 fiber plates and 8 steel plates. The stock set up I pulled had 8 friction and 7 steel plates. I have heard of guys running an extra plate but would like some advice on this. Do you guys recommend using the extra steel plate since I am running the heavier barnett springs in it?

The perplexing thing is that service manual for this '77 gs750 shows 7 fiber plates and 6 steel plates. Hummm.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2012, 03:18 PM.

The extra plate runs ten and ten.
    There is a steel wired in your clutch basket. Have a look. That makes eight and eight.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, I buttoned her up a while back. Tearing another one down now so I'll take another look at the stock one.

That 1100 of yours seems impressive and expensive..!

-joe

Comment

Originally posted by mrbridgeport View Post
        Thanks, I buttoned her up a while back. Tearing another one down now so I'll take another look at the stock one.

That 1100 of yours seems impressive and expensive..!

-joe
        I've been messing with it for years. Blew up a few and finally have a runner.
        Yes it costs a lot but it's my hobby
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Fear not.

They only get expensive if the wife finds out.

''This new head was on special & didn't cost much. Really ''

Richard

Comment

Start strengthening your left hand now -you'll need it to squeeze that clutch repeatedly
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

take the wired in steel plate off of the inner hub and machine the surface smooth so your stack starts with a fiber and ends with a fiber.

a little measuring / clearancing is required but the end product is nice.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                take the wired in steel plate off of the inner hub and machine the surface smooth so your stack starts with a fiber and ends with a fiber.

a little measuring / clearancing is required but the end product is nice.
                Hmm I like this! so ten fibers and nine steels?

Comment

Working...
                X