816 big bore clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

816 big bore clutch problems

hi guys anyone ever had slipping problems? anyone ever used 100,or 1150 spring kits? would they fit ,and be better than a performance kit?
    thanks for all ideas

mine is running good now, mid range slips though just when i pin it a lil, or a lot

try some uprated clutch springs first. see if that helps
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I ran an '82 750 with the 816 kit. I put in all new fibers and steels and didn't have any slipping problems.
      The '83 engine has different part #'s for springs than the 80-82 750/1100 and has 4 springs instead of 6.
      There should be ebc springs available for it that have ~15% more clamping force.

Comment

Clean those steels with sandpaper or steelwool. Then check the specs on the fibers. If they are stock/original they are hard and won't grab like new.
        Then get some EBC springs or shim the ones that you have.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

they were new fibers, but have a season on them chef
          it has lots more power now im thinking spring kit first i guess
          mid hit is sweet, pulls front in 2nd ,or trys to and then slips, and my springs are new as well factory springs 1 season on them, my bike sat 2 years, until i finally got it together, im working out kinks still

thanks for thoughts guys

Comment

hey chef what if i shim them and check clearances? use some washers? anyone ever tried it? the springs are new, just thinking.....

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
              hey chef what if i shim them and check clearances? use some washers? anyone ever tried it? the springs are new, just thinking.....
              You can shim them with washers. If everything is new that will be your best bet.
              Did you soak the new fibers in oil before installing them?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                You can shim them with washers. If everything is new that will be your best bet.
                Did you soak the new fibers in oil before installing them?
                they have 1 season of regular riding on them,and yea i soaked them when i first got them

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                  they have 1 season of regular riding on them,and yea i soaked them when i first got them
                  I wonder if an 1100 inner hub can be fabbed to work on an 850? That would give you six springs. Ask 49er what he uses on his 850s.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    I wonder if an 1100 inner hub can be fabbed to work on an 850? That would give you six springs. Ask 49er what he uses on his 850s.
                    I'm still using the 850 basket, with stock steels and a set of Barnett fibres. I ran 6 Barnett HD springs too, but I needed to go to the gym to operate the clutch lever.

I now run a mix of 3 stock and 3 Barnett springs, without getting any clutch slippage, and have a lighter feeling cable too.
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

i checked the fibers today , there still like new!, so i lightly sanded the metal plates nice and clean, i did this when i bought the fibers and rode it 1 season, so i didnt think it needed it
                      tried the spacers- didnt work!! washers fit in the pressure plate, 2 on each spring, no go, so i tried 1 , nope!!
                      pressure plate didnt open enough to workwtf!, so i finally re assembled it like it is suppose to be, and there is no slippage, i gave it hell a few time, front wheel pulling up nice, no slipping, so ill keep a feel on it
                      but you say 850 works? what year,and is it a direct bolt in?
                      ---good news no slipping,thanks guys

Comment

Good to hear you no longer have a slipping clutch.

I don't think you could easily adapt the 850 clutch to a 750 even though they share the same crank. The 750 has a straight cut 99 tooth gear on the basket, whereas the 850 has a helical cut gear with 87 teeth. The baskets, steels and fibres all have different part numbers too.
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

yea i dont understand it man with out shims the plate moves 1/2 inch or more no probs, 1 washer shim,and it wouldnt move but maybe 1/4! and it wasnt enough,and no feel

Comment

I'm just a bit confused. You have an '83 16 valve 750e and in only has 4 clutch springs???
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                            X