Gsxr750m engine into...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsxr750m engine into...?

Hi, ive got a 750m engine that id like to put into a Gs frame, are there any frames that it will fit better then others? Any frames that it wont fit? I realize that i will have to make up some new engine mounts, but i dont really want to start chopping up the frame.

Thanks!

There was a Bike of the Month awhile back with a GSXR1100 stuffed into a GS750 frame. The Gixxer motors are more compact than GS engines so you shouldn't have much trouble. I would think the 750 would be a little shorter than the 1100. The past BoM had the tank raised to clear the top of the 1100 engine. There is even a guy stuffing a 750 Gixxer into a 550 frame. If it were me I'd use an '83 up 700/750 chassis.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking a 750 would be the best way to go, id imagine the 550 frame would need plenty of bracing to cope with the extra power?

Comment

Hi let me know how it went with your project?
        I have a 85 gsxr750 engine and a 83 750es
        I would love to stuff it in to my gs frame.
        Mikey

Comment

Yes, please let us know. I also have thought about this project.
          I have an 81 GS750L and planned to put an early model gixxer750 engine into it next summer.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
            Hi let me know how it went with your project?
            I have a 85 gsxr750 engine and a 83 750es
            I would love to stuff it in to my gs frame.
            Mikey
            Just go for it. A friend of mine used to have a -84 GS750efd wich had a -85 GSXR 750engine in it. I drove it a few times and it worked great. I looked at the mounts and they appeared to be org. However they were from the GS or the ?R I don?t know. The carbs were higher up so the petcock was rebuilt with just a plate with a tube and an external shut-off. The chain alignment I dont know either how that was done, but it had the org. rear wheel on. It also had the electric switches and the hydraulic clutch handle from the `R aswell. For me knowing about these bikes I could spot the difference, but for someone who doesn?t they would never know. A Suzuki engine in a Suzuki frame. My own GS 1100, at the time with org. cc and a st.1 head with Mikuni33?s and a VH 4-1, pulled equally with that %?&)"!# 750

Comment

He He this is music to my ears
              I will be busy for the next little while then,I guess I have all the stuff needed from my donor bike.
              This sounds like a fun project for me.
              I will most definetely let you guys know how this will go
              mikey

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
                He He this is music to my ears
                I will be busy for the next little while then,I guess I have all the stuff needed from my donor bike.
                This sounds like a fun project for me.
                I will most definetely let you guys know how this will go
                mikey
                It?s a no loose situation. As I have driven a bike like that I can assure you that it was fun. Make sure you have the flatslidecarbs that comes with the R?engine. The EFD model had to have som mods done to the plastics to fit the bigger oilcooler, but not much. It looked really nice as a whole.

GOOD LUCK with the near BOLT-ON procedure

Comment

gsxr swaps

The air/oil cooled gsxr 750 motor will pysically bolt into the 83-4 Gs750 es frames using the stock mounts. These are the bikes that came with square tube steel frames and 16 inch front wheels. You will need to mount an oil cooler, and run separate filters and use a gsxr based exhaust with a custom mid pipe. You also can use 17 inch gsxr rear wheels with the cushdrive, axel spacers, rotor and brake caliper from most year gsxrs through 95, although some cushdrives provide different offset so chain alignment should be checked carefully. If you stick with the same year rim and its related cushdrive and motor you should be set. When Suzuki went from 4.5 to 5.5 inch rear rims in 90 they offset the countershaft 4mm so if you have a pre 90 motor and a post 90 wheel and cushdrive you could be off here. It is possible to get the right combination of stock parts to solve this problem, even with a post 90 wheel and early motor or vice a versa. The gsxr motor will fit inside the pre 83 gs 750, 1000, and 1100 frames, but since the gsxr motor is much shorter, custom motor mounts are required.

Comment

If you're looking for the bike of the month picture with the 1990 GSX Katana engine in it, it was January of 2004, it's great to have that archive now.

Comment

1052cc GSXR motor

better yet get a 86-88 1052cc GSXR1100 motor which will work. these were the small 1100 motors. The 89-92 1127cc motors were larger. but is an easy bolt in to the GS frame.

Comment

All Suzuki's oilcooled engine-cases (600, 750, 1052, 1127, 1157 cc) are the same size. Only from the 1052 up the cilinders are a little higher. So a 750 exhaust won't fit the 1100 because the headers are too short.

If you can fit one, you can fit 'm all.
                        Check out www.oldskoolsuzuki.info if you're lookin' for more info on the oilcooled engines.

Comment

Working...
                        X