Racing Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing Fuel

I used VP 110 and the bike ran good, then I ran some 103 VP and the bike ran alittle better by a few tenths. Have'nt did a compression test when the bike was hot at the track, but a cold compression check is at 200 psi on each cylinder. I'm at 13-5 to 1 with G4 cams.

What do you think.

Jake
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

The higher the compression, you would want to run higher octane. I run C12 in my GS750 and was told that it was about 106 octane.

Comment

But if you run to high of an octan you will loose power. I'm trying to find that sweet spot between not pinging and just the right amount of octan.

Made 12 runs with 103 and did'nt have any pinging at 34 degrees of timing, pulled the plugs and they looked good with no spots on the electrode.

With my total loss system the bike started everytime without problems even when it was hot and I was making back to back runs, sometimes just a few minutes apart.

I would jumper it to my truck battery and and let it run for 5 mins to charge the battery after I made 5 runs, cause that's when my air shifter ran out of air and need a recharge too.

Comment

Yes, that is true about finding the ideal "sweet spot"!

Comment

Originally posted by prhenderson
          The higher the compression, you would want to run higher octane. I run C12 in my GS750 and was told that it was about 106 octane.
          The C12 we get here is rated at 108 octane.
          6 bucks a gallon.

Comment

Yep, that's the stuff. $6.00 a gallon here too, with a 5 gallon minimum purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by prhenderson
              Yep, that's the stuff. $6.00 a gallon here too, with a 5 gallon minimum purchase!
              5 gallons will only last me 2 nights at the track.

Maybe I should convert my bike to run on Popane 8O

Comment

Kero

AKA Jet fuel

Burn that and you'll be runnin cheap

Comment

Jake if you ever start to run nitrous check out sunoco pro mod fuel for cars. Its made to run that combo. It used to really work great with a turbo on nitrous. It had a almost unheard of octane rating....can`t remember for sure but in the 120`s.

Comment

Go Buy you a gallon can of toluene. mix with gas until it's right. Much cheaper than 'race gas' and is only one molecule away from gas anyhow. Plus it cleans oh so good. :twisted:

Comment

Re: Racing Fuel

Originally posted by RacingJake
                      I used VP 110 and the bike ran good, then I ran some 103 VP and the bike ran alittle better by a few tenths. Have'nt did a compression test when the bike was hot at the track, but a cold compression check is at 200 psi on each cylinder. I'm at 13-5 to 1 with G4 cams.

What do you think.

Jake
                      I gave up on gasoline after melting one of my engines. I lost the whole top end and a crank. Methanol is better. Lower BTU,but at twice the F/A the power is a bit higher. The big advantage is how stable it is under high pressures. On the down side, it is VERY corrosive and needs to be flushed. It may be hardware to come by. Storage is a bit of a problem in that you need to keep it sealed or it will soak up water from the air and it's hard to make any power on water. :roll: :roll:

Conversion on your bike may be simple? You may need all new seals that are compatable. The shutoff valve for the float may need to be changed to allow higher flow. The gas tank will need to be changed to allow for more fuel, maybe you could weld in some Pingle petcocks? Ignition timing need to be changed. And of course you need to change the main jets. Because your just racing the bike, you may be able to get enough flow from the idle circuit but even if you can't it's not a big deal. You never idle or run mid range anyway. :twisted:

You keep playing and I may have to take you up on that $100 race you first offered! Good luck and keep us posted. Your making some great progress!

Comment

Methanol is better. Lower BTU,but at twice the F/A the power is a bit higher. The big advantage is how stable it is under high pressures.
                        And jetting is easier, because it has a bigger sweet spot and power is good until you are quite rich. Not nearly as finicky as gasoline. On a track only bike, it does have merit.

Mark

Comment

for nitrous use VP C-16 its $8.50 a gallon, runs great in our pro mod style suzuki,
                          Richie

Comment

Yeap that sunoco fuel was very dry also and your complete system had to be flushed after every race. I would run marvel mystery oil in regualr racing fuel through her at the track before leaving and fog the cylinders.

Comment

hows avgas 100LL? meaning a true 100 octane low lead. im running that in mine at the moment cause I work on small aircraft and had a gas can of it needing to be used, then again all im doing is blasting around the hangers till I get my liscence and put some insurance on it

Comment

Working...
                              X