No more pods ! ! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more pods ! ! !

Couldn't stand the pain in my a$$ pods anymore. 75mph rich/lean/rich depending on how the wind was blowing. Had enough!

To this...

And she runs like a scalded dog now. Very fast, very smooth...
    Last edited by Spyder; 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM.
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

So did you have to re-jet?
    No signature :(

Comment

Looks like you had your manifolds on the wrong side of the bike with the pods. The carbs sure hang low in those photos. I've ridden in heavy wind, and rain and never had any problems.

Comment

No, a PO only put 140 jets in when they did pipe and pods. Carbs are otherwise stock. I've been avoiding a full rebuild for many circumstantial reasons that keep coming up. She ran good though, just not perfect. I kept doing little bits here and there with much improvement. This however was the best thing I've done yet. When I do my 7-11 swap I will properly build the 36mm 1100 carbs. Plug chops, jetting, needles, everything right...
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          Looks like you had your manifolds on the wrong side of the bike with the pods. The carbs sure hang low in those photos. I've ridden in heavy wind, and rain and never had any problems.
          They did sag some, made it a bitch to line everything up...
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            No, a PO only put 140 jets in when they did pipe and pods. Carbs are otherwise stock. I've been avoiding a full rebuild for many circumstantial reasons that keep coming up. She ran good though, just not perfect. I kept doing little bits here and there with much improvement. This however was the best thing I've done yet. When I do my 7-11 swap I will properly build the 36mm 1100 carbs. Plug chops, jetting, needles, everything right...
            If they only plugged in some bigger mains they may as well not have bothered. The needles are the key component in a jet kit. Shimming the needles can help but the taper is all wrong. With the carbs hanging like that it probably threw the fuel level in the bowls off creating mixture problems.

Comment

If they only plugged in some bigger mains they may as well not have bothered. The needles are the key component in a jet kit. Shimming the needles can help but the taper is all wrong. With the carbs hanging like that it probably threw the fuel level in the bowls off creating mixture problems.
              I agree completely. I seriously had no time to fix it. Until this year I worked over the road. I was LUCKY if I put 1k per year on it. When I had some spare time, I rode it. Earlier this year I transferred to the I.T. Dept. in my company. Anyway, now I have the time she deserves. Just don't have the $$ she needs lol. It'll get there this winter. Just tryin to get her through this season before a major tear down and rebuild with a fresh 1100.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

Comment

I agree completely. I seriously had no time to fix it. Until this year I worked over the road. I was LUCKY if I put 1k per year on it. When I had some spare time, I rode it. Earlier this year I transferred to the I.T. Dept. in my company. Anyway, now I have the time she deserves. Just don't have the $$ she needs lol. It'll get there this winter. Just tryin to get her through this season before a major tear down and rebuild with a fresh 1100.
                If you have it running sweet with the airbox then there's nothing wrong with going with it. Better to ride than fiddle.

Comment

If you have it running sweet with the airbox then there's nothing wrong with going with it. Better to ride than fiddle.
                  Exactly! I sold the filter box coz I knew it would give me jetting, and adjusting grief. Plus I am a believer in K&N filters. Just not out in the open like the pods were. It was only a guess\hope that I would get the results that I did...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

Comment

So are you selling those pods?
                    Pm me with a price.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      So are you selling those pods?
                      Pm me with a price.
                      Hahaa! Pods are sold already. Eric jumped on them 2seconds after I created this thread. Gotta be quick around here.
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

Comment

Hahaa! Pods are sold already. Eric jumped on them 2seconds after I created this thread. Gotta be quick around here.
                        Why does he have to have every GS part in America?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                          Why does he have to have every GS part in America?
                          Not to worry, I am just trying to save everyone from the immense difficulty in making these bikes run without all stock parts.

Eric

Comment

You did the right thing - I played with pods for years, and I never got them to work as well (overall) as the airbox.

I remember years ago, I think it was in '82 or '83, one of the cycle mags took a stock bike, dyno tested it, put on a pipe, put on some pods, and it dynoed 1/2 hp less than stock, even after they bumped the main jets up 4 steps. But the bike did weigh less than stock, and had more ground clearance, so they figured it was worth it.

My '83 1100 has a pipe, a stage one dynojet kit, with the smaller 110 jets, stock airbox, and it runs smooth and makes great power. Does it make more HP than stock? I'll never know, will I ?

I've had some sick ideas though - a big block kit, bigger jets, and a few teeth more on the rear sprocket - I think my bike would run in the high 10's - even at this altitude -

Comment

Exactly! I sold the filter box coz I knew it would give me jetting, and adjusting grief. Plus I am a believer in K&N filters. Just not out in the open like the pods were. It was only a guess\hope that I would get the results that I did...
                              Not to hijack your thread, and I like the fact that you went back to the somewhat stock airbox setup, but what is it about K&N filters that you like? I am one for using the stock filter because I think it filters the air better.
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X