Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ram air/ direct flow air

after viewing the thread "no more pods"
    i decided to start designing new ways to either ram the air in to the carbs or build a more direct flow air line to the carbs
    here are three design pictures of the air box ideas i had (not really boxes)
    this is two diffrent designs of a ram air system idea
    the only problem with the filter sticking out the side is that when you are stoped you could hit it or bump it with you leg and well break it off or bend the filter

here we have the direct air flow set up
    more power less drag on the get off more top end

will post more pictures as the plumbing begins to take shape!

You could always just put the head on backwards, like they used to do with old trumpys and some other more modern bikes......

Comment

Hi reaper,

Enjoy this sort of ''development''. Just a suggestion for a starting point - look to where the current sports bike manufacturers take their air from. Most seem to take and use the high pressure area around the headlight or fairing. Anywhere that you can collect this fast moving air and direct it into the carbs.

You even use the standard air box with appropriate ducting.

Looking forward to what you can come up with.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rich001 View Post
        Hi reaper,

Enjoy this sort of ''development''. Just a suggestion for a starting point - look to where the current sports bike manufacturers take their air from. Most seem to take and use the high pressure area around the headlight or fairing. Anywhere that you can collect this fast moving air and direct it into the carbs.

You even use the standard air box with appropriate ducting.

Looking forward to what you can come up with.

Richard
        They [ the manufacturer's] pressurize the fuel bowls through the ram air so it richens the fuel mixture when you get going fast enough for the ram air to really start working. Because if you add ram air and jet as a non [forced ram air ] system you will be lean when you get it wound up and working. Look at a later model Gixxer with ram air, Suzuki did it with the 2000 gsxr 600
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

i like this as soon as i read this i thought hyper charger, why stop at 1 you could put 1 on each side of the engine and run 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcy2QPahgQ

Comment

heres some on a m109 http://www.thundermfg.com/store/imag...09_70220-1.gif

Comment

the thing is i do not like the blower
              i would have to take a closer look at all of the space under my bike and frame
              if you look at those bikes with blowers they have V twin engienes allowing to place the blowers in a place that is out of the way more forward under the tank
              the crabs that we have if the air flow comes in from the side the front of the blower would be behind you legs!!!!
              unless i could use tubular steel and mount the blower somewhere else like on the right side adjacent to the exhaust?
              if that is possible i need to find a way to run the plumbing so it is not in the way of the function of the bike
              then i could run my vacuum lines straight to the air collecter box i was thinking of adding a scoop pan under the exhaust for air collection in stead of coolant but my pipes are going to be in the way of that
              also what do y'all think of the direct port idea?
              its out of the way i can hook up the vacuum lines to it and it would give you pretty good power gains

Comment

What about scoops along the side of the tank that force air into a filtered box?

Comment

Good point hj.

What about jetting the top end slightly rich to compensate for the ram air effect. I don't think you could ever attain high pressure so it wouldn't need to be excessively rich. It obviously would mean that at lower speeds it would be running rich down low in the revs.

Further mental meanderings : what about if a small air box was made that fully enclosed the carbies - as in a blow through super/turbo setup. This would fix the fuel issue but raise other potential problems. The gravity fuel feed would be working against any pressure in the air box - maybe need a small fuel pump???? Also the advantages of a larger air box ( eg throttle response down low, smooth air flow etc etc) would be lost.

Just adding to the complexities that is the infernal combustion engine.

Richard

Comment

i like the box idea but i was thinking of connecting all the vacuum lines together and attaching them to my airbox system
                    that would work but when i take off the tank to do simple tuning i would have to move the air catcher ill keep thinking let me know what else you guys have in mind i am interested in what y'all know

i will be drawing other pictures later and see what yall think!

Comment

I love all the creativity that is happening here, but if your main goal is simply more power, ...
                      they make big-bore kits and high-compression pistons that are proven to work with very little effort.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, you are being very sneaky. I have had years of doing things the hard way and you come with the ''easy'' solution.

I'm a wake up to your evil plan. You want to get twice the power improvement with half the effort. Well I'm not going to fall for it.

I've got my good eye on you.

Richard

Comment

Reaper, the "ram air" would creat an unstable/unpredictable lean condition. That's why I got rid of my pods in the first place and though of my under seat filter. (not that I "invented" it)
                          Everything but the pilot circuit would have to be substantially richened up. The mixture would be at best be intermittent. At least on a street bike. Racing on the other hand. I can see this working better on a race only bike. Drag, or course bike.

Just my thoughts on it...

The set up we discussed on my bike works very well. Ridden in pretty windy conditions and couldnt feel any mixture changes. I would recommend people buy it from you if you made a good setup. If you like I can get the specs for the intake port, and part number for the K&N I used.
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

the intake ports would be nice on specs
                            but i need to combine and crunch my numbers and see what size intake pipe i need!
                            also steve can you get me the specs on pistons rods and stuff\

Comment

Although the idea of ram-air is valid and can improve performance quite a bit,
                              As with turbo-charged/super-charged vehicles and modern ram-air intake tracts on motorcycles,
                              they have the advantage of a computer and mass air flow sensor to adjust fuel pressure and fuel charge as well as timing advance under almost all conditions.
                              Doing all of that with a carburetor is much more difficult.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X