chain/sprocket advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain/sprocket advice

I bought my 1100e just over a year ago, it came with no chain. I was a good little noob so I read my owners manual and found out my bike takes a 630 x 96 link chain. I was a cheap sob too, so one of my very first posts here on the GSR was in the parts wanted where I was looking for a cheap , used chain! lol Oh the ribbing I got, on wanting a used chain.
    I really wanted to get the bike running and take it for a test ride before I tore it down for a total overhaul.....I never got my chain, and good thing, because I THINK a 520 conversion had already been done! lol
    So here I am a year after my project began and I am finally ready to put a chain on it, and I still have no idea what chain I need. It actually took me about 3 months total to re do this bike. Not that its a pro restoration, but we work on them when we have the time.
    My currnet srpockets are
    front- JT 513-15
    rear- JT 816-43
    My question is "Is this a 520 conversion chain I will need"? And if so , will it still be a 96 link?

Stock sprockets for this year were 15 front and 42 rear. My 43 tooth rear would be "taller" gears, giving me slightly lower rmp's at highway speeds...right?

520 is to small for a 1100. The smallest size chain that a 1100 could use is a 530 I like 630 chains due to the strength and the worry factor (will it break when I twist the wick) Yes the taller you go on the back the slower speed you go but you will be at a higher rpm,you will have a wheelie machine. Usually if you go one tooth bigger it will drop your speed about 5-10 mph. 530 conversions are cool way of going lighter equipment and chains have come a long way and the 530 is a very strong chain. EK,RK and Tsubaki are great chains.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I am not sure if its a 520, 530 or 630. I am new to the chain game.
      How do I tell for sure?

Comment

you should be able to measure it with a ruler

530 is 5/8ths of an inch pint to pin and 3/8th wide in the roller area

I will get a link its out there somewhere.

Comment

This is a cool site
          Motorcycle Repair Information on Your Rear Chain and Sprockets.

has useful information on a lot of stuff and explains the chain nicely
          apparently the folks at Z1 Enterprises are very knowledgeable if you are looking for help in selection.

Comment

By checking the JT site?Plugged in the front for you.It's a 530 conversion sprocket.If your stock 630 sprockets where 15 and 42 it would be best to get 17 or 18 tooth front and as close as you can rear to equal the stock ratio.There is a program called Gearing Commander but I can't seem to use it
            Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Buy a chain from Z1, I have a 1100ez and I bought my chain and rear sprocket from them for about $100.00 plus or minus

I just put it on useing the string around the back wheel to align everything.

To keep the same gearing like SVsnooke just said I got a 17t front and 48t rear.

Comment

Oh also the references made to 630 being stronger than 530.
                There are differences in chains of a given pitch. My 530 sweet sweet lasted forever Tsubaki was over-engineered. It was markedly heavier than a standard 530 o-ring chain. Heavy side plates and heavy pins.

Costly and too much for a wee bike but worth it if you flog the snot outta your machine.

Comment

So it sounds like your opinions are that my current sprockets are a 530?
                  If thats the case I will just get a chain for it.
                  Or because of the ratios mentioned, how about this?

It sounds exactly like what you guys were just talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    So it sounds like your opinions are that my current sprockets are a 530?
                    If thats the case I will just get a chain for it.
                    Or because of the ratios mentioned, how about this?

It sounds exactly like what you guys were just talking about.
                    Actually it seems like the for sale as is a spammer. 1 post, asking for an email.

Comment

I still have no idea what chain I need. Sorry I am so dense.
                      Would a 530 o ring chain, 96 link work? Like I said, I am new to chains and the bike did not come with one .
                      The sprockets are like new, so I just need a chain, assuming the sprockets are not totally wrong for the bike, ie: size, strenght, gearing.
                      Help.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                        I still have no idea what chain I need. Sorry I am so dense.
                        Would a 530 o ring chain, 96 link work? Like I said, I am new to chains and the bike did not come with one .
                        The sprockets are like new, so I just need a chain, assuming the sprockets are not totally wrong for the bike, ie: size, strenght, gearing.
                        Help.
                        No you will need a longer chain as the 530 links are shorter.IIRC the stock chain on the 78 1000 I have is 96 links as well,for the 530 on that I need 114.

Comment

If you want your gearing to stay the same you need a 17T front and 48T rear and a 114 link chain. They didn't have a 114 link chain so I bought one longer and shortened it to 114 links.

Here is a good tread to help you out. I read all the treads on this and I found this one the best.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I am hearing you guys loud and clear as it seems to be the popular opinion to run the 17/48 sprocket combo.
                            Just to update this, I just received my 530 o ring 114 link chain, I layed it out on my bikes sprockets, and they are definately 530 sprockets,proper match.The length is just long enough, I think I will have to remove a couple links if I use these sprockets (which I am going to)(at least for now....NOW, although your sprocket recommendations (17/48)are tested and more like the bikes stock ratio, What can I expect from my current(15/43) sprockets? Are these going to be lower, for more thrust off the line,but limiting top end, OR will they help lower my rpm's at higher speeds, freeing up my top end some?
                            I dont mean to be pulling such noob question out of my hat. I have been riding for 3 years but mainly was my shaft drive Shadow, now that that one is sold and gone I have my 550l which is all stock and just gets lube/adjusted so far. Thanks for your help and info!

Comment

the new chain won't last if the sprockets aren't in real good condition,so hold off on cutting up that 114 link chain till you've made sure your 15/43 sprockets are good enough to use.If you do need new sprockets too,the reason for using a 17/48 combo is for extra clearance at the swing arm pivot.

Comment

Working...
                              X