chain/sprocket advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
    520 is to small for a 1100. The smallest size chain that a 1100 could use is a 530 I like 630 chains due to the strength and the worry factor (will it break when I twist the wick) Yes the taller you go on the back the slower speed you go but you will be at a higher rpm,you will have a wheelie machine. Usually if you go one tooth bigger it will drop your speed about 5-10 mph. 530 conversions are cool way of going lighter equipment and chains have come a long way and the 530 is a very strong chain. EK,RK and Tsubaki are great chains.
    A quality 520 is plenty strong enough. Had a DID ERV3 on my ducati track bike for years. 145HP plus.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgs View Post
      A quality 520 is plenty strong enough. Had a DID ERV3 on my ducati track bike for years. 145HP plus.
      ditto, I have used 520 chains on 1166 katanas with no issues. I would lose the 15/43 sprockets though. YOu may chain saw through your pivot as previously mentioned.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
        I... NOW, although your sprocket recommendations (17/48)are tested and more like the bikes stock ratio, What can I expect from my current(15/43) sprockets? Are these going to be lower, for more thrust off the line,but limiting top end, OR will they help lower my rpm's at higher speeds, freeing up my top end some?
        I am going to have you do the work on this one. DO THE MATH.

I will at least tell you what to do. Divide the number of teeth in the rear sprocket by the number of teeth in the front. Compare one set of sprockets to the other. A larger number will be faster acceleration, more RPM at a given road speed. A smaller number will be slower acceleration, fewer RPM at a given road speed.

Not breaking out a calculator here, but both of those will be just a little bit less than 3.0, so it will be close. Probably too close to make a difference, but the 15-tooth front sprocket might not be large enough to keep the chain from dragging on the frame or swingarm.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

2.86 with the original set and 2.82 with the larger tooth set.
          The 17/48 set will give me lower RP M's.
          And also not turn into a metal cutting chainsaw for my swing arm.
          I'm learning!
          Thx

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            2.86 with the original set and 2.82 with the larger tooth set.
            The 17/48 set will give me lower RP M's.
            And also not turn into a metal cutting chainsaw for my swing arm.
            I'm learning!
            Thx
            It makes a big difference if you are using a stock tire or a 130 tire as well. If I remember correctly with a 130 tire you need a 17/51 ratio.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

just call z1 thats all you need to do!

Comment

Working...
              X