1982 Gs850GL, Speed/ Tach at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs850GL, Speed/ Tach at speed

i have just recently got back from a ride about 70miles long and noticed that my Gs850Gl doesn't like to run up past 70mph before it gets all squirrely what is the speed you run on your gs850 at and what rpm range and what makes yours faster than mine?

Originally posted by Charger739 View Post
    i have just recently got back from a ride about 70miles long and noticed that my Gs850Gl doesn't like to run up past 70mph before it gets all squirrely what is the speed you run on your gs850 at and what rpm range and what makes yours faster than mine?
    I could run my gs850G all the way up to 9k in top gear which is an estimated 125-ish mph. And hold it there all day. The bike would be just fine. Emphasis on could, being as that is super-legal speed only suitable for a closed course.

In reality my highway cruising speed is closer to 85 (any slower and you get splattered in NJ), which is right around 6000 rpm in 5th.

As for what makes it faster... It's not an L model .

Only kidding about the L thing. They aren't really any faster / slower. What does make a difference is how your bike is set up and maintained. Are you using pods? An aftermarket pipe? No pipe? Clean carbs? All make a huge difference in performance.

Also what do you mean by "squirrely" as in it starts to wobble? or the motor starts missing, or you have a boggy throttle, or does it start collecting nuts to hoard over the winter?

More detail on the issue please.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger739 View Post
      Steering stem bearings are shot? Not greased? Out of adjustment?

Eric

Comment

Its got aftermarket headers and exhaust as for the forks idk maybe I have bad seals

Comment

The speedo on my 81 gs850 g only goes to 85, which it easily maintains in 5th at maybe 6-7k I think. I have yet to push her hard enough to have any issues at any speed.

I believe I'm running all stock parts except for the stator and regulator.

Comment

Working...
          X