4 into 1 & pods; runs poorly, Help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1 & pods; runs poorly, Help plz

I bought a 80 GS850G w/29k miles. Not a rust bucket, just had some clutch problems. The previous owner had installed a 4 into 1 exhaust and put cheap (ebay) pods on it. He also screwed up the clucth, which turned out to be 2 fiber plates stuck together. I installed new fibers and steel plates. All fluids have been drained; primary drive, secondary and final plus the old brake fluid. I also only run 93 octane. That said, here's my issue. With the pods on, the bike shifts and runs good until I hit 55mph. Then it really has no more power. I take the pods off and it will run 65 - 70 and then it starts to feel like I don't have more power. I do have the original air box, haven't tried it yet to see what happens. Where do I start? I don't he did anything with the carburation when he put the aftermaket exhaust and pods on.

Originally posted by MUBULLDOG View Post
    I don't he did anything with the carburation when he put the aftermaket exhaust and pods on.
    There are a lot of threads addressing both aftermarket exhaust and pods, and most of them recomend re-jetting. If you do not plan to restore the bike, that is where i would start.

Toad

Comment

Put the stock airbox on as well as stock exhaust (if you have it). If not, just put the stock airbox on for starters and get a baseline to tune from there.

Comment

Have the carbs been cleaned? If not it will be a good way to see if a kit was installed. It doesn't sound like a jet kit was done judging by the way it runs. You do need to clean the carbs regardless if you haven't. Sounds like it sat a little.

Comment

All of the above, and you probably don't need the 93 octane fuel.

If you really want to run the cheap pods and the pipe, you WILL have to re-jet the carbs. There is no option to that, you WILL have to re-jet.

Suggestions for re-jetting sizes will vary based on what pipe and what pods, but you will need to go up several sizes on the mains (likely 5 or 6), and most likely lift the needles about one notch worth, but, since there are no notches, you will have to use a thinner spacer on top of the clip.

The 850 is no rocket, but it's a great-running bike. Look in my sig, you will see that I have three of them (click on the links, you can see them). It has a wonderful engine that will pull decently strong from 1500 RPM on up, and when you cross 6000, you had better be hanging on, it will feel like someone just stuffed a bigger engine in there.

All three of the 850s in my family have stock airboxes, two of them are still with stock pipes. The one with a header does not seem to make any more power, it just sounds nicer.

OH, I just noticed, you are yet another rider in southwest oHIo.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And get rid of those cheap filters. If you are going to run pods spend the money on good ones. I went down this road with my 850G. Finally added K&N pods to my Dyno-Jet stage 3 kit and it runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
              And get rid of those cheap filters. If you are going to run pods spend the money on good ones. I went down this road with my 850G. Finally added K&N pods to my Dyno-Jet stage 3 kit and it runs great.
              Ditto.

K&N Pods and V&H 4 into 1 on my 82 850GL. Ran like junk past 55. Long story short. (You can read the LOOONG story in my sig.) I did a proper carb clean and rebuild with a Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit.

It now runs like a "scalded bandit" all the way through the power band. And Steve is right. After 6000, hang on!

Comment

Just to summarize:
                Stock intake and exhaust - clean carbs and go
                Pipe and stock intake - larger mains, tune and go
                Pods and stock exhaust - Stage I jet kit, tune and go
                Pods and pipe - Stage III jet, tune and go

By pods, I mean at least the APE pods, K&N for the win. The cheapies, such as EMGO, almost impossible to tune except for the most patient of folk.

I run the last, K&Ns, Kerker & Stage III kit. Runs great, still has more power on tap when I have the patience to finish tuning. Which is the other part of the puzzle; if you choose this route do not expect to just bolt on parts and haul. It takes a lot of time and patience to do it correctly. Otherwise you get a bike that falls flat on its face, as you are aware.

Comment

Many thanks to all the GS family members that posted the great advise. The original box w/covers looks a better than the pods. So that's the direction I'm going with. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Steve, I'm a little north of Dayton. I'm going to go with the org airbox w/cover (looks better to me) and the suggestion that the Koolaid Kid posted; (4 into 1) Pipe and stock intake - larger mains, tune and go.

Comment

Hey Steve, I'm a little north of Dayton.
                      I know exactly where W. Milton is. I used to live in Phillipsburg for about 12 years. Down closer to the Dayton Mall now.

I'm going to go with the org airbox w/cover (looks better to me) and the suggestion that the Koolaid Kid posted; (4 into 1) Pipe and stock intake - larger mains, tune and go.
                      If you want to see what that looks like, click on the link in my sig for #2 son's 850.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

89 octane is fine for a stock compression 850.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          89 octane is fine for a stock compression 850.

Eric
                          In our area, 87 works fine, too, and is ten cents per gallon cheaper.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Hey Steve, since you have rejetted your 850 (with the stock airbox) dur you remember what size you went up? Thanks

Comment

Hi Steve, I order 2 sets (120 & 122.5) of mains from Z1. They should be in later this week. Just to ask what you meant by "you will most likely lift the needles about one notch worth, but, since there are no notches, you will have to use a thinner spacer on top of the clip". Did you son need to do this with his 850? I'm staying with the stock airbox, getting those pods off. Oh yea, I ran the bike about 10 miles, with the stock box, and it didn't feel like I had any power passed 55mph. Thanks again for the great advise.

Comment

Working...
                              X