No announcement yet.

4 into 1 & pods; runs poorly, Help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i went to Wirlessguy's house,what a day that was,we sanded his plastic spacer on top using a caliper to measure,but ithout the dynojet needles just did not run completely right,FWIW

Comment

If u bought the dynojet kit and left pods and took the time to learn to tune,you would be a carb PRO ,and be very happy.And could tune any carb like yours.Just my 1 cent

Comment

Hi 5150, I do apprecate your suggestion, and I would probally go with pods & Stage 3 kit if I were to do a cafe/bobber on the 850. These were cheap pods that the previous owner put on with the 4 into 1 but didn't rejet. I think the bike looks better with the org airbox and chrome covers. Thanks again

Comment

Ok carbs are off, cause my 122.5 mains came in. Well this is weird. The mains on the carbs are stamped 92.5. Now I'm confused. Anybody have a thought about the 92.5 mains?

Comment

Ok the 122.5 mains are on and did pilot jet tune. Idles around 1300 to 1400 rpms. When on the center stand (tank was off and set on prime) I could rev it up & hold at 6K (very smooth) and then settles back below 1500. Took it out for a spin and everything sounded good with good power all the way to 50mph. Then it started the "garble" sound and I could give it more throttle but it didn't help, just made it "garble" more. Below is the list of things I know;
            1. With pods and 4 into 1 pipes & the 92.5 mains; runs up to 55-60 mph and starts the "grable" sound with no more power.
            2. Pods OFF and 4 into 1 & 95.5 mains: runs up to 65-70 and starts to garble and no more power.
            3. Stock airbox and 4 into 1 pipes & the 92.5 mains; runs up to 55-60 mph and starts the "grable" sound with no more power
            4. Stock airbox and 4 into 1 pipes & the 122.5 mains; runs up to 50 mph and starts the "grable" sound with no more power.

So, where to go from here?

Comment

Where are the mixture screws at the back of the carbs set?? 2 to 2/2 out is a good starting point. Also too much oil in the pods is a culprit. I would clean the pods but DONT oil them till some better resukts can be had..then tweek from there.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Chuck, the pods are cheap ones and they didn't have any oil in them. I put the stock airbox back on. If you refering to the pilot screws, on each carb, then yes I started with them turned out 2 1/2 turns for set position. I ended up turning them almost a full turn in, so they are about 1 1/2 from set. Would the 4 into 1 pipes have anything to do with the lack of power at 50mph? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MUBULLDOG View Post
                  Would the 4 into 1 pipes have anything to do with the lack of power at 50mph? Thanks
                  Absolutely it would, if it wasn't jetted correctly for the pipe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                    Ditto.

K&N Pods and V&H 4 into 1 on my 82 850GL. Ran like junk past 55. Long story short. (You can read the LOOONG story in my sig.) I did a proper carb clean and rebuild with a Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit.

It now runs like a "scalded bandit" all the way through the power band. And Steve is right. After 6000, hang on!
                    Hey Good Times, carb was very clean however someone had install 92.5 main jets. Weird. I put 122.5 main in and still doesn't perform any better. Looks like I'll be back into the carbs to check the needles. Here's something that's been on my mind. I don't know the make or model of the 4 into 1. Would these have anything to do with poor performance? Did your V&H pipes suggest the main jet size? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                      Ditto.

K&N Pods and V&H 4 into 1 on my 82 850GL. Ran like junk past 55. Long story short. (You can read the LOOONG story in my sig.) I did a proper carb clean and rebuild with a Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit.

It now runs like a "scalded bandit" all the way through the power band. And Steve is right. After 6000, hang on!
                      This is your key. If you want to keep screwing with it, continue on your route. If you want to ride it, do this.
                      My bike - GPz750, K&N pods, Kerker pipe, Dyno Jet Stage 3 kit. Runs like a raped ape. You need the Dyno Jet needles. Period.

Comment

Well I kept screwing with it. After finding the 92.5 main jets and primary bleed type needle jet with X-6 stamped on them, plus thejet needle with 4BEL2 stamped on them. It sure adds up to this set of carbs came off a 80-82 GS550. So the PO really screwed me on that part. JUst wanted to share this info.

Comment

550's have narrower bore centers.
                          to get 550 carbs on your 850 would take a lot of boot stretching side to side.
                          if these carbs just pop on and off easily then they are not 550's.

Comment

blowerbike these go on pretty easy. So the PO must have screwed around with the carbs.

Well talk about learning about carbs. After everything I found on this set of carbs and comparing the part numbers and jet sizes to the attachment (Suzuki GS Carb Database). I really thought that this set came of an early 80's (80-82) GS550. The mains; 92.5 with the 150 pilot air jets, the jet needles stamped 4BEL2, and I found out the correct name for the needle jet (stamped X-6). They are called "Primary-Bleed Type Needle Jets". GS member Billy Ricks replied to my post, "Needle jets look different", with a very informative link to a google book that shows this needle jet. The link is below and the info is on page 177. Oh yea, when I removed all 4 of throttle slides (to check the needle numbers), I found three X-6 and one X-5 needle. So 3 slides were a different length than the 1. Crazy way to learn LOL.

I have alot of new parts, here's what I have done to this set of carbs; Installed the following: 180 pilot air jets, 122.5 mains, 47.5 pilots, used the 4 matching throttle slides with X-5 needles (I lefted the 0.5mm shims under the needles). Going to put them on today and tune as best as possible. I don't have a carb synchronizer so that won't happen today. Take it for a spin and see if it has any power at 3/4 to full throttle.

Wow, it ran very nice! Started with the 2 1/2 turns off set, ended up about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of set.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

how do they fit???

Comment

They fit very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X