Lock up clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock up clutch questions

I bought an MTC lock up and just installed it today. I put in some sacked out stock springs in and left the arm weights as it was delivered. I measured 0.100" between pressure plate and lockup after I added an extra steel.
    Just before I buttoned it up, I checked the weight bolts and they were not tight as I thought they should be, they have lock nuts on them.
    Question is should I take it apart and locktite them as well as the little bolts holding the pivot arms on, before I ride it?

I would just tighten the weight bolts. Since they have lock nuts they shouldn't vibrate open. But it's probably a good idea to check the pivot arm bolts and locktite them if they aren't already.

And don't worry about all that rattle when you start the engine, it's just normal
    Arttu
    GS1100E EFI turbo
    Project thread

Comment

Originally posted by ArttuH View Post
      I would just tighten the weight bolts. Since they have lock nuts they shouldn't vibrate open. But it's probably a good idea to check the pivot arm bolts and locktite them if they aren't already.

And don't worry about all that rattle when you start the engine, it's just normal
      A rattle? Maybe but I couldnt hear it over my flatslides rattling.
      I took it apart and loctited everything. I am doing a 400km trip tomorrow and didnt want to worry about it.

Comment

loctite, love it or hate it

yep the little pivot secure bolts will never bother you except when you want to remove them. Free Secret - use propane heat to break red or blue loctite bond. (I know we know, but for the casual browser reading)

arm bolts may be over kill to loctite them but general torque does "feel" a little loose. I probably overtorque mine just for peace of mind.

clack and rattle mmmmmmm music to my ears

have you used one of these things a lot? a single stage lock up. I have one but I am always curious about the settings other guys use too.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
          yep the little pivot secure bolts will never bother you except when you want to remove them. Free Secret - use propane heat to break red or blue loctite bond. (I know we know, but for the casual browser reading)

arm bolts may be over kill to loctite them but general torque does "feel" a little loose. I probably overtorque mine just for peace of mind.

clack and rattle mmmmmmm music to my ears

have you used one of these things a lot? a single stage lock up. I have one but I am always curious about the settings other guys use too.
          I just installed it as it was set up as delivered, nut and bolt with two washers. I want it to lock up early because of the torque it makes from 3k rpm. I dont know if there are any disadvantages to more arm weight, the package came with a LOT of extra washers.
          I always thought these as single stage lock up, but the MTC info says its a two stage. First stage would be the spring weight I guess
          REALLY lovin the super light clutch pull When it locks up you gotta hang on

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            A rattle? Maybe but I couldnt hear it over my flatslides rattling.
            The weight arms tend to rattle a bit at idle. At least my MRE lock up does that.

I'm using mine to just give more pack pressure for street riding so I haven't bothered to try too many different settings. I think I have bolt, nut and two washers on each arm at the moment. Works fine except the clutch doesn't disengage completely at high revs if I pull the lever.
            Arttu
            GS1100E EFI turbo
            Project thread

Comment

I had a lockup on my turbo bike and at the end of the track that was a real tough clutch to pull the lever. I guess thats why they call it a lock
              up... worked great though...
              Curt
              sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Ive been running it for a while with old stock springs and it felt too lazy from a stop, also probably some slippage wearing my plates I think. So, I put in a set of EBC springs and its much snappier off the line and the clutch pull isnt bad compared to a full set of Barnett. It came with 2 packages of washers of different thickness, which I figured out are for static spring pressure adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                X