The great mod debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great mod debate

I got an '82 1100g that needed some electric work and is slowly becoming a complete resto project. Since I am more familiar with scooter performance mods than motorcycle mods I am creating a thread fir everyone to throw their two cents in on every performance mod you can think of. OK go!

What's a mod.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      What's a mod.
      a skinhead on a lambretta, with lots of mirrors!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        Nice flare with the lambretta.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          What's a mod.
          Weren't they opposing factions to the Rockers in the UK, in the '60's

Seriously.........................you could fit a set of pods to it and spend the rest of your life trying to chase a flat spot in your engines response, before finally getting to do your planned body refurbishments.
          Last edited by 49er; 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

And Lights!

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

haha, think you may need to fit a relay "mod" to get all them lights working on the GS
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

GS scooter mod. COOL!!!

Another option is take off the mufflers or run an open baffle exhaust to mod the bike into an A$S HOLE machine!
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

haha, think you may need to fit a relay "mod" to get all them lights working on the GS
                  + you could make up a tow bar "mod" to pull a gen set to power that lot.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

There are some "enhancements" that are not really considered "mods", like pods, pipe, handlebars, etc.

There are some mods that are considered to be "enhancements" by their owners, but are not seen that way by everybody, like bobbing, chopping, cafe-ing, etc.

Some of the other "mods" are really Band-Aids to try to fix a problem, like coil relay mod, horn relay mod, fuse box relay mod, stator wire re-routing mod, etc.

Did you notice that all of those are electrical and most of them involve installing relays? That is a not-so-subtle hint that you really need to ensure that your electrical connections are as good as they can possibly be. If you are too lazy to clean the connections, or a previous owner tried some 'creative' bodges, you may have to resort to installing a relay to bypass some poor wiring, but they are all workarounds.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I think I see your point, would it then make this an "illuminating enhancement?"

sigpic

Comment

Add some tunes and you have a party

Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                          Steve, I think I see your point, would it then make this an "illuminating enhancement?"

Dang, it will take me all day to clean all the bugs off those lights after going around the block.
                          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                          X