Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Swingarm Bushings (for swinger conversions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Swingarm Bushings (for swinger conversions)

I have a GS750 and am converting it to accept the GS1100 allow swingarm. As many of you know who have been around here for a while or who have already done the swap the choice in conversion basically boils down to boring out your frame to accept the larger diameter GS1100 pivot OR machining your own bushings to make your 750 pivot work with the 1100 swinger. I have opted for the bushing route because I just don't want to take the risk of drilling into the frame and having holes that are not concentric. NOW to my question for all of you GSers. What material should I use for my bushings? What are the stock bushings made out of? Where can I get round stock for a decent deal? Lastly when I get this done there is a good chance I will have spare bushing material machined to the correct dimensions for a GS750-GS1100 swinger swap so if anyone wants to buy the rest of it I'll give it to them at my cost for parts (free labor). PM me. Answers one or all of these questions would be most appreciated! Thanks guys

The fitting is a tad more difficult than you imagine as the bushings are actually roller bearing inner races hence hardened....
    You can of course make them up from a suitable steel and have them hardened and finish ground...but...$$$

Bore the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      The fitting is a tad more difficult than you imagine as the bushings are actually roller bearing inner races hence hardened....
      You can of course make them up from a suitable steel and have them hardened and finish ground...but...$$$

Bore the frame.
      Like he said bore the frame, you are not going to be off enough to notice unless you drill totally off center of your existing hole, which I don't know is really possible
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yeah I want to steer away from having to drill into the frame for as long as I can. That will be my last resort. If there's one thing I have learned while alter bike suspension it's that the smallest amounts of adjustment can have a huge effect on handling. I just don't want to end up with a bike that doesn't track straight because my bored out holes are off by a 1/2 a mm. Unless someone knows of a way to bore the holes out while keeping them concentric. . Drilling just seems a bit like the "get a bigger hammer" kinda method. I'm up for ideas though

Comment

take the frame to a machine shop, they should be able to make up a jig in order to drill the holes accurately
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            Like he said bore the frame, you are not going to be off enough to notice unless you drill totally off center of your existing hole, which I don't know is really possible

It's possible, believe me, that is what happened to me.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I think you'd need a jig to be 100% sure....

I think Katman might already make the reducers. Should be pretty easy to make
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If there is enough difference between the pivot bolt diameter
                & the ID of the inner bearing race you could get away with just
                a sleeve.
                Preferably at least 1.5mm wall thickness. 2mm would be better,
                And I don't think I'd chance it at 1mm.
                I'd choose 4140 for the sleeve material, but truthfully, regular
                old C1018 would be fine. Bond the sleeve to the inside of the
                inner race with Loctite RC680, and it'll never come out.
                Well until you heat it to around 600 degrees anyway.
                Again this is assuming you have adequate wall thickness to your sleeve.
                If not I would not try this.
                The Three Horsemen
                '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                '83 GS1100ES
                ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                Porkchop Express

Comment

T8erbug,

Which way did you decide to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf View Post
                    T8erbug,

Which way did you decide to go?
                    I thought a lot about the bushings but going from 14mm to 16mm would only require a spacer with 1mm wall thickness which is pretty small and I'd imagine suseptible to warpage/damage plus allows for a lot more play in chassis parts. The less parts the less I have to rely on perfect tolerances to keep the play out of the swingarm and suspension components. Therefore I decided to go the drill-out route. I am in the middle of it right now and I will hopefully document it thouroughly enough so that people doing the same thing can do a better job if they decide to go the same route. I'm going to use a step bit on the inside and outside of each pivot arm mount in the frame, drill through, then ream to just under 16mm. I think this will give me concentric holes and if not it will be dang close. Then I will just emery cloth the pivot bolt until it fits snugly in the newly reamed holes. It shouldn't take much but time and care to make good holes. Wish me luck. Check out my build thread (T8erbug's GS750 Cafe Racer)

Comment

Any news, T8?

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf View Post
                        Any news, T8?
                        I have looked and looked for the right tools for the job and finally found someone with them but he went to Canada for the weekend. Mutha.. So as I sat here and contemplated what I was about to do I thought I'd give ONE more thing a try. Since I started this post I have actually come in contact with a very very valuable resource. His name is Ben and he works at a GIANT machine shop near me and he has been helping me a ton with custom parts for my bike. They have quite a few lathes there and I talked to him last night about making a new inner bearing bushing out of steel then hardening it. He said as long as the tolerances don't have to be super tight (super tight to him at that machine shop is like .00001 haha) we can handle it. Therefore I have REchanged my mind and will be waiting for Ben to get back from Idaho till Jan 5. Smurf, if our experimental part works I'd be more than happy to make one for you as well and I'll just charge you cost plus a little bit for Ben to do the lathe work (nothing compared to normal machine shop rates)

Comment

T8,

I'd definitely like a pair of the custom inner races. I checked with a machine shop here in Allentown and they refused to even try, saying it would be $800 if they even agreed to do it. So the custom inner races would be 25x14x30 to sleeve the stock 1100 bearings (25x33x30) down to 14x25x30?

If that doesn't work out, I talked to a guy and Bearings and Drives Unlimited. He said he could come up with a series of 3 inner races that would sleeve the 25mm stock 1100 bearing down to the 14mm 750 pivot bolt.

Each side would need:

1 JR20X25X30 ($17)
                          1 JR17X20X30,5 ($13)
                          2 JR14X17X17 ($12)

Note that the middle race would need .5mm cut or ground off and the innermost race would need to be shortened 4mm. Not sure how well that would go with hardened steel. So this method would cost $108 ($54 each side) plus the bearings ($40 at the dealer) and require pressing the bearings to be pressed together.

So I think I'll wait to hear if you can get the custom races made. Good Luck and please keep me posted!

Comment

Greg b 's solution of bushing sleeves is ideal and no need to be concerned about wall thickness as long as they are a good fit.Turn the bushes on a mandrel and turn up a shouldered punch to press them in so to prevent collapse of bush and once in drive a 14mm bearing ball thru the hole to broach it to size.If you can fit a 6 thou thick liner to a valve guide and it stays in place with no adhesive it will b no problem to sleeve the bushes down to size and b confident it will not fail

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post

Bore the frame.
                              I've read this numerous times, and it is not quite true. See my photo in the recent "swingarm swap and cleanup" post- the bushing you will be machining does not have to replace the stock inner spacer & both bearing races. You just need a spacer just a hair under 225mm I think it was, that is 14mm i.d. and 16mm o.d.

The inner races are sandwiched between the frame, dustcaps, thrust washers, and inner bearing race spacer sleeve. You just need a spacer to make the 14mm bolt 16mm thick between the frame, and have it machined just a hair narrower than the frame as to allow the frame and pivot bolt to sandwich the inner race assembly properly to keep it fixed in the frame and avoid it rotating. I would use permanent loctite on the spacer to keep it from rattling around side to side. I put my calipers on the swingarm with the bearings, races, spacer, thrust washers, and dust caps installed, and if I remember correctly, it measured right around 225mm. My calipers don't go that wide, but I measured pretty carefully in two steps to come to that almost exact measurement. The 750 and 1100 pivot bolts measured DEAD ON to 14mm and 16mm on their shoulders. I would make a spacer around 224.6mm wide to allow for frame flex to tightly sandwich the inner races as an assembly between the frame. As one other member posted, use permanent loctite to keep the inner spacer from having a chance to move around or rattle.

My machinist buddy told me he could make one of these and two rotor spacers for the twinpot mod on his lunchbreak! I haven't gotten around to re-checking the width, but that measurement I would be pretty darn confident on as-is. I had asked him about steel, but I also had wondered even how aluminum would work, as it is just there to keep the assembly centered. maybe aluminum would be too soft for harsh road conditions? If he can easily make it from steel, then that's the ticket.

EDIT - sorry I posted that before reading the rest of the thread, so some of it is rehash.
                              Last edited by Chuck78; 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM.
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X