GS450 2 into 1 Exhaust Lengths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 2 into 1 Exhaust Lengths?

A few years ago I fabricated a pretty neat (I thought anyway) 2 into 1 exhaust system for a CB175 Honda. I want to fabricate one now for a GS450 I have. Like the Honda system, the one for the Suzuki will be built using mandrel bends and straight tube, all butt-fitted and TIG welded together.

When I built the first exhaust I got some input from someone who had some racing experience to get an idea of what primary lengths and tube diameters would work well on the street. I'm not out to gain every last HP available, but would like a system that is sized (length and tube diameter) for good performance at "highway" RPM (probably more low to mid range power), rather than a race intended system for maximum power at high RPM.

Anyone have experience they'd be willing to share?

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn

Well Pete's exhaust is pretty sweet and readily available.

Comment

Can't say I'm familiar with the exhaust you mentioned, "Pete's exhaust". I did a google search and didn't really find a website. Probably I'm not looking correctly.

In reality though, I'd like to build my own system for three reasons; 1) I'm a fabricator, 2) I enjoy it, 3) I can do it for less $$ than buying a exhaust system. The last 2 into 1 I did only cost about $50-60 in materials.

Lynn

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&starteronly=1 This is pete's started threads,his pipes should be in there.

Comment

There is a member on here who's handle is Pete. He is an Aussie. He has a 450 with a custom exhaust. It reminds me of the Street Scrambler exhausts of old. Go to the twin section and find his posts and take a look at his exhaust. However, I understand your question and I am not sure his was built with your questions in mind; diameter, length, etc. to maximize efficiency and tune to a particular bandwidth.

Comment

Maybe this link will work- scroll down a bit

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the last three posts. I found the exhaust system on Pete's build thread....looks like great work. I'll read a little deeper into his build to see if there's any mention of tube length or diameter.

If I have this picture posting thing figured out, hopefully there will be a picture of my 175 and the exhaust I built. I'd like to build something similar for my 450. Just looking for the length and diameter input for tubing selection.

Comment

You can always PM him. He is a very active and helpful member of this forum.
                Nicely done 175. I always liked the style of that bike, although at the time I was a very dedicated 2 stroke rider.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Nicely done 175. I always liked the style of that bike, although at the time I was a very dedicated 2 stroke rider.
                  funny you say that 'kid..

you took the words right oughta my mouth hahahah.. dam RDs

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                    funny you say that 'kid..

you took the words right oughta my mouth hahahah.. dam RDs
                    Hehe. I had two of them. Nothing like blowing away a single cam Honda 750 to bring a smile to your face.

Comment

Hey mate, I'm Pete with the exhaust haha

I did actually take some measurements for someone a little while back but I can't recall the thread where I posted them now so I would have to go and take them again.

However, my exhaust was done purely for aesthetic reasons (I love scrambler style pipes) and was not tuned performance wise or anything like that, although it seems to perform just nicely for what I need! I had a local exhaust shop here make it for me (Tranzac).

There is another member on here that gave me some measurements for a tuned 450 2 into 1 system that would probably suit what you're looking for, and I'm pretty sure that was GregT. Shoot him a PM. Unfortunately I deleted the PM after I had mine made...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for stepping up Pete! I'll try to do some searching for the info about the "tuned" system you mentioned. As I said early on, I'm not out for every last HP the bike has potential of making, but I'd like to build a system that has some "design" to it so at least I don't kill any power. My goal is similar to your's, mostly appearance, with probably a side benefit of significant weight savings over the stock system.

I appreciate your reply.

Lynn

Comment

No problems at all Lynn, happy to help if I can.

Found the thread with my measurements in it too:

Post #9, and don't forget they're very approximate and apologies for the filthy bike
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wow! Thanks Pete. That will be a great help. That's a nice looking exhaust system!. I have to admit cheating and looking at the "Inches" side of your caliper to see ~1 1/2" diameter. That's just about what the stock pipes on my 450's measured and I just happen to have a couple 1 1/2" mandrel "J" bends on my shelf and some 1 1/2" X .062" tubing. How convenient! I'll convert the lengths from metric to inches and compare to the stock pipes just before they go into the muffler. I'll have to look back to see if the picture shows if you started your measurement at the flange.

I'm probably making it sound like I'm making a big deal about the measurements. I'm not, really. Just hoping to not "kill" any power. When I did the 2 into 1 for my 175 Honda I was cautioned to not use too large a diameter pipe, or, if I recall correctly, it would take power away from the low RPM range and move it higher...just to opposite of what I'd want for street riding I'd think. Did you notice any change in your bike by the "seat of the pants" or otherwise?

Thanks again!

Lynn
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Just an old hot rodder interjecting, you are correct. Do not go too large of diameter or you will lose low end power, not a good thing on a 450. Now that you know the diameter, to tune the length, you want to do 2 things: try to make the total length of each pipe as close to equal as possible, and position one pipe such that it draws the exhaust out of the other. This is called equal length tuning. Works for street cars, anyway.
                              You'll see what I mean when you get there.
                              I'm done interrupting. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X