To "Pod", or not to "Pod"??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To "Pod", or not to "Pod"??

I have seen several GS850's set up with K&N air pod's in place of the stock breathers.

Thoughts on this?

Is this a big performance upgrade, or simply a looks thing?

How does it effect maintenance needs?

On an 850 it's as silly as a 4-1 pipe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      On an 850 it's as silly as a 4-1 pipe.
      Lol, you really hate those 4-1 pipes..

Comment

No I like them a lot, just not on a 850. It is super heavy, very smooth, comfortable bike with a really civilized engine, the airbox and the carburetors come off in just a few minutes. The 4-1 and especially the pods are ridiculous on this machine.

It's not like the last tiny bit of extra power right before the redline is all that important on this particular motorcycle, it's not like it's going to be a racer....

You will lose power and efficiency everywhere else.

Just makes no sense.

On one where the airbox is near impossible to remove pods are the way to go.
        On a little zippy cafe racer type thing, sure, on a 1100 torque monster you bet. Not on an 850.
        Last edited by tkent02; 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          No I like them a lot, just not on a 850. It is super heavy, very smooth, comfortable bike with a really civilized engine, the airbox and the carburetors come off in just a few minutes. The 4-1 and especially the pods are ridiculous on this machine.

It's not like the last tiny bit of extra power right before the redline is all that important on this particular motorcycle, it's not like it's going to be a racer....

You will lose power and efficiency everywhere else.

Just makes no sense.

On one where the airbox is near impossible to remove pods are the way to go.
          On a little zippy cafe racer type thing, sure, on a 1100 torque monster you bet. Not on an 850.
          well, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification. For guys (like me) new to this stuff just saying something is "ridiculous" without explaining why is not of much value. The full explanation allows me to be educated on the reasons for the opinion you state

Comment

What Tom means is that adding pods means you need a Dynojet kit to get it to run correctly, so you've spent $250 and a bunch of hours to gain 3 HP that detract from the overall throttle response.

Pods only make sense if you're doing more engine upgrades, like headers and a cam

Otherwise, CV carbs respond poorly to the change in intake airflow
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              What Tom means is that adding pods means you need a Dynojet kit to get it to run correctly, so you've spent $250 and a bunch of hours to gain 3 HP that detract from the overall throttle response.

Pods only make sense if you're doing more engine upgrades, like headers and a cam

Otherwise, CV carbs respond poorly to the change in intake airflow
              Makes pretty good sense. Thanks again.

Comment

i was gonna go pods for the sound...i put a 4-1 pipe on my 850 for the sound and looks...since i dont care for the 4-2 an it being quiet

but i deceided to run stock airbox, since it runs so good with it already

Comment

Saying that throttle response is going to be bad and that you will lose power every where else, is just not accurate. If you jet the carbs properly (yes this takes time and patience) the throttle response will be just like stock and you will not lose and power any where. I have done this to more GS1100 and GS1000's (I know it isn't an 850 but the engine is the same) then I can count. Problem is, people don't know how to properly setup the carbs. In most cases a stock jet kit will only get you close. You need to put in the time to get them right. If you do, the effort is worth it. I have 4 GS1100's and a GS1000 that would amaze you at how well they run with pods and 4-1 pipes.

It's like everything else in life....there is no short cut.

Comment

^ true, I have been through many carb adjustments even with the jet kits. Another thing is the noise, if you have a fairing and are out of the wind noise the carbs will be loud sucking in the air all the time.

Another item that bothers me about them which is probably not a big deal is rain, I always feel like I am sucking water into the engine. Over my 30 years of pod bikes its never cost me an engine but still bugs me today.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                      i was gonna go pods for the sound ...
                      On the other hand, I stay with the airbox for the sound.

Pods are too loud for me, I don't like their constant chatter.

Some headers are too loud, too, but I do like the smooth sound.
                      The header on my son's 850 will likely end up on my bike before we sell his.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stock on that bike is the practical choice.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Bevo View Post
                          ^ true, I have been through many carb adjustments even with the jet kits. Another thing is the noise, if you have a fairing and are out of the wind noise the carbs will be loud sucking in the air all the time.

Another item that bothers me about them which is probably not a big deal is rain, I always feel like I am sucking water into the engine. Over my 30 years of pod bikes its never cost me an engine but still bugs me today.
                          the little bit of rain sucked in gets rid of that pesky carbon build up.+&+

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            the little bit of rain sucked in gets rid of that pesky carbon build up.+&+
                            true true, at work we have stationary gas turbine driven emergency generators and had stationary gas driven turbine compressors, they are just the same used in planes, now ours need(ed) washing way ofter than the ones
                            used in planes, because of rain cleaning the internal. The turbine people even considered getting a water injection system up and running to make the hours go up between washing stops.

Comment

So the outer cylinders will be carbon free and inner two not so much but again probably not a big deal..

Comment

Working...
                              X