What type of inline fuel filter to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of inline fuel filter to use?

Hello, I have a '79 GS550 and when I checked the petcock doesn't have a filter. So I was wondering what kind of inline fuel filter I should use. I've read somewhere that I should get one with a see through filter. What is wrong with using one such as this "
    And also, do the old '79 550's have filters in their carbs like the newer ones? If you try to tell me to just replace the petcock then please at least tell me what kind I should get, a link to a specific one would be nice.
    Thanks!

Here's the filter I was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by LonewalkerX View Post
      Hello, I have a '79 GS550 and when I checked the petcock doesn't have a filter. So I was wondering what kind of inline fuel filter I should use. I've read somewhere that I should get one with a see through filter. What is wrong with using one such as this "
      And also, do the old '79 550's have filters in their carbs like the newer ones? If you try to tell me to just replace the petcock then please at least tell me what kind I should get, a link to a specific one would be nice.
      Thanks!
      I don't know what kind of GS550 you have, but here's a parts fiche for the '79 GS550E. Looks like it $87 and change, but there's a sale coming up after Thanksgiving where you could probably get it less.

I would get the right petcock and scrap the idea of an inline filter, you don't want dirt going through your petcock.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

most of the outspoken ones here do not like filters, I have 2 gs 850 one has a filter and one does not, the one that does has a slightly rusted tank, so I have a filter on it. But I use automotive fuel line on it, with a fuel filter and stock thin walled fuel line it is easy to get a kink in it.

Comment

How does your bike with the filter run? Just the same as when it didn't have one?

Comment

Clean the tank if it's rusty. Tons of threads in the archives will provide guidance. A filter is a band aid, not a solution.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've tried using inline filters and have had to taken them off. Wouldn't flow enough gas well enough to keep the bike from surging. Once I took them off everything was fine again. Keep the tank clean and inspect the screen on the petcock now and then.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you need a filter get a 5/16" nipple gravity fed model. They are cone shaped and found in lawn mower sections. I found one at an Autozone once.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If it flows enough to have a steady stream coming out, it's enough to run the engine wide open. If later on it won't flow as much, replace it, it's done it's job.

Automotive filters need pump pressure to flow much fuel, they won't work.

Fixing the rusty tank is a better option.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The petcock includes a very good filter screen. Is this missing from yours for some reason?
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just musing but one of them nice Ford carb filters would make a hell of a high flow bike filter. I forget how big they actually though and they would require an adapter.
                      Just musing. Too much pressure required I imagine.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Please note that if your petcock does not have the filter screen on the inside of the tank, that also means that you don't have a RESERVE function, either.

That is, unless you still have the plastic tubes and the filter screen is messed up.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

@bwringer:
                          Yeah, when I took the petcock apart, there was no filter in it. I'm guessing from one of the previous owners.

@Steve:
                          Yeah, I read about putting in a line to keep the reserve funtion, but I prefer keeping the tank above 1/4 no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by LonewalkerX View Post
                            @bwringer:
                            Yeah, when I took the petcock apart, there was no filter in it. I'm guessing from one of the previous owners.

@Steve:
                            Yeah, I read about putting in a line to keep the reserve funtion, but I prefer keeping the tank above 1/4 no matter what.
                            did you take the petcock off the tank to take it apart? the filter is inside the tank, not in the petcock itself!
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              did you take the petcock off the tank to take it apart? the filter is inside the tank, not in the petcock itself!
                              Sorry, I worded that wrong. What I meant was what you said; when I took the petcock off the gas tank there was no filter attached.

Comment

Working...
                              X