1977 GS550 Airbox Removal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 Airbox Removal??

I'm sure somebody out there has removed the airbox & replaced it with cone filters.....

Just wondering if it was difficult getting the airbox out (did it have to be cut out?)......And, if removing the stock airbox had an effect on the performance (good or bad).

Any info would be great....thanks.

Remove the rear fender to give another iinch of clearance.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Any particular reason you are trying this?

I ask because you are setting yourself up for a "wonderful" adventure.

I don't know what it takes to get one out, as I don't have a 550, but a simple search will show you enough threads to provide HOURS of reading that detail the trials and tribulations of trying to jet your carbs.

Some will tell you that it's easier with your VM carbs, but it's still going to be a lot of "fun" trying to get it all dialed in correctly.

If you are doing this for the "look" of pods, I think it's a foolish move, but I am not the one that is going to be doing the work, so I really don't care.

However, if you have a damaged airbox and think that pods would be a better alternative, I still wish you good luck, but think that a replacement airbox would be a better choice.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

airbox removal

I second that advice. Keep the air box and filter. If you need the box out for some reason remove fender as instructed also i find unbolting the regulator etc helps to move the airbox rearward, which lets you pull the carbs back off the inlet stubs and slide the carbs out the side. Remove cables first of course!. Then airbox comes out. Dont use pods on a standard engine, you will end up in a load of trouble. Unless you have a dyno hidden in your garage
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

The bikes with VM carbs are easy to tune, if you understand how the carbs work, and if you are willing to spend a lot of time getting them right. The PO didn't mention his intended purpose for the bike. If you want reliable efficient hassle free quiet cruising with decent power, go with the air box. If you want a more snappy engine, with slightly more top end power, more induction noise, and don't mind a loss of low end grunt, less fuel efficiency, and don't mind a little more routine maintenance, pods are fine, especially when combined with a nice pipe...

Don't get the cheapo pods or it will never run right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All above. Plus a lot of the pods advertised for a GS550 won't fit - the frame gets in the way. Make sure if you go the pods route you buy the shorty K&N ones and not the ones they advertise for a GS550 - they're wrong as well!

I can't remember the K&N number - do a search on here.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Run Forest ...RUN

away from non-stock

Comment

I once removed the factory airbox from a '79 550 and it was insane!
                After removing the exhaust, I had to unbolt the entire engine and move it forward into the frame tubes.
                Even then, with the carbs out also, it did not want to come out!
                I believe that Suzuki installed them before installing the engine into the frame.
                Have fun.

Comment

airbox removal

The steel filter box can be unbolted from the plastic plenum while in the frame, removal is no trouble then.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                  X