Handlebar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar question

Since this is a mod, I figured this section was applicable. Here is the deal:

The 1992 GSX I'm repairing has 1" handlebars. I prefer the grips available for the 7/8" bars like my GS1000 models use. I have not found a decent pair of 1" grips. The pair I got were highly rated on one of the bike sites, but are really thin- I can feel the ribs on the throttle tube.

I'm thinking of putting on a set of 7/8" bars. I figured out how to make some shims for the controls, but the throttle tube may be an issue. I'm not opposed to using different controls from a later or earlier model bike, since they all do the same thing.

What I need to find out is if any of the later models used 7/8" bars, or is it just the GS series?

Thanks for any help.

You sure the bars are 1". I thought those were a more modern development?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

bandit used G controls...
      bandits has 1"-7/8" reducers from the factory.
      order bandit reducers for your controls and a harley shop should have the reducers to put 7/8 bars on your 1" triples.
      there you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
        What I need to find out is if any of the later models used 7/8" bars, or is it just the GS series?
        Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        You sure the bars are 1". I thought those were a more modern development?
        Of course, there will be exceptions, but most of the street bikes have 7/8" bars.

The most-notable exceptions will be Harley and most of the Harley wanna-be's, which have 1" bars.

Even my Wing has 7/8" bars.
        Can't see them, because they are covered with plastic, but ...

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks all... I'm sure they are 1" bars since the 1" grips I bought were a good fit.

I've figured out how to adapt the 7/8 bars, the Harley adapters are like $12 for four half-pieces (and even in its current decrepit state it doesn't want any Harley parts ). I can buy 1 foot of 1" OD aluminum with a .870 ID for $10 and cut it in half.

This still leaves the throttle tube. If I adapt my 1" right control onto a 7/8 bar, I still have a 1" (actually more) throttle tube don't I? Do these interchange to where I could use a 7/8 throttle tube on the 1" control?

Comment

Steve, you have dust on the wing.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I found a reasonably priced set of 7/8" controls & a throttle tube from a late model SV650 and will try them on the bars I had on the ST1100. The rise & pullback is about the same as the GSX-G bars. If they wire the same way as the late model Bandit 1250, I'll gain some extra features like hazard flashers and a high beam flash switch. If nothing else, they look a lot nicer than what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Steve, you have dust on the wing.
                Deal with it.

Overall, I try to keep it clean enough to look good, but leave it dirty enough to let you know that I do ride it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X