81 GS750L Big Bore Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is what happens to any 1100/1150 motor. They are just collected up by the builders then they can charge whatever they want since the control the market on them... Lol That's my theory any way.
    In this case, these guys just rode the bikes hard for a few years then most of them just quit riding. So the bikes got parked, some were tore down for projects that never happened etc. There could a gold mine sitting in that town we don't know about lol. There were a quite a few of the 79 KZ1000s at first then they switched when the 80 GS 16v came out, most bought the 1100Es and few Ls. Some bought the 750Es and a few of the 850s. The reason they went with the 1100E, one of the guys had just bought one and had his girlfriend on the back. One of the other guys still on a slightly modified KZ1000 took him on and the 1100E blew his doors off with the girl friend still on the back lol. He bought a 1100E that next week lol.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      In this case, these guys just rode the bikes hard for a few years then most of them just quit riding. So the bikes got parked, some were tore down for projects that never happened etc. There could a gold mine sitting in that town we don't know about lol. There were a quite a few of the 79 KZ1000s at first then they switched when the 80 GS 16v came out, most bought the 1100Es and few Ls. Some bought the 750Es and a few of the 850s. The reason they went with the 1100E, one of the guys had just bought one and had his girlfriend on the back. One of the other guys still on a slightly modified KZ1000 took him on and the 1100E blew his doors off with the girl friend still on the back lol. He bought a 1100E that next week lol.
      For some reason I just picture a warehouse like in Indiana Jones just filled with 1100 & 1150 mills with a gentlemen builder in his mid to late 50's maybe early 60's walking around gingerly with a clip board checking his inventory... Top men only... LOL

Mean while in the real world the young bucks like me are running all around trying to source one of these engines. "NEW TO US" is the GS and the wonderful world of Dyna-S, 7/11, Flat Sliders...etc... So to find a motor that isn't already snatched up or that's not in a parts bike that's worthless is Hard to do! What a monotonous chore it was to source one in good shape for less then $1000. Feels like I'm in a race that I started about 20 years too late...

Originally posted by blowerbike
      pre internet i found an 1150 with engine and chassis work in a local paper.
      called and left a message...weeks went buy and the guy calls...been on vacation.
      bike was listed for a grand.
      i was at his house the next day before he got home from work..bought it for 900.00
      news got out i had "fresh" 1150...people didn't want bikes that's been seen around..kinda like someone else's girl friend..sloppy seconds and such...lol
      sold it that night for 3 grand!!!
      those was the good old days!
      I've had Internet since I was 10 years old... Couldn't imagine trying to source out without it. Never flipped a bike for 3X investment but double I do often enough.
      Last edited by Jedz123; 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM.
      Jedz Moto
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2002 Honda Reflex 250
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jedz123;1778365]For some reason I just picture a warehouse like in Indiana Jones just filled with 1100 & 1150 mills with a gentlemen builder in his mid to late 50's maybe early 60's walking around gingerly with a clip board checking his inventory... Top men only... LOL

Wrong picture here then, not in this case. Some of these bikes were just discarded never to be seen on the streets again. Original owners long gone and or long forgotten. Anyways, don't jump to conclusions until I can actually find out what happened.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Wow I guess I am glad I posed the question on here, lots of good info mrbill5491 if you can get some info on that I might be able to shuffle some funds around and be interested if some engines are available.

blowerbike: you had 130 at the rear wheel with only a cam, carbs, timing advancer and a silencer? I am jealous. Guess I might have to hold off on the high compression kit for a bit then and work on a few other items. Would I be able to bump up the power fairly well with the cam, silencer, advancer and a jet kit? Don't quite have the money to fork out for carbs just yet.

Also where be the videos of this I wanna hear it!

Comment

Originally posted by mlymanz71 View Post
            Wow I guess I am glad I posed the question on here, lots of good info mrbill5491 if you can get some info on that I might be able to shuffle some funds around and be interested if some engines are available.

blowerbike: you had 130 at the rear wheel with only a cam, carbs, timing advancer and a silencer? I am jealous. Guess I might have to hold off on the high compression kit for a bit then and work on a few other items. Would I be able to bump up the power fairly well with the cam, silencer, advancer and a jet kit? Don't quite have the money to fork out for carbs just yet.

Also where be the videos of this I wanna hear it!
            i'm guessing you could make around 120-125 with st.3 kits and filters.
            i'm just saying there is a lot on tap with out removing the head if the work is done by a person that knows where to put the cams and jet/tune a set of radial slides.
            i'm also talking a FULL exhaust..not some slip on crap.
            you lose so much weight by getting rid of the factory head pipes.
            all i can say is the two brothers 4-2-1 stainless pipe was awesome and made the best power whisper quiet..strange but true and expensive at the time..seems around 500 dealer in 97.

i ran 38's because that's all that was available used..they worked!
            i think 36's would have made the same power and had better bottom for street use is all.

i would also like to edit my previous post because its been sense around 2000 that i had my bandit.
            seems i ran 10.80's@129ish with st.3 carbs with filters installed..again it slowed some without the K&N's installed.
            the 38 RS carbs picked up a tenth or so to low 10.70's and then the added 3" put me in the low 10.50's and i lost MPH because i was getting to the end sooner..maybe 126-127mph after stretched.
            there you have it.........................

Comment

Well I am getting a lot more out of this thread than I originally anticipated. I am going to have to do some research now to locate some parts. I am not really wanting to have a crazy quarter mile run just a few extra HP so I can really mess with my buddy and his CBR1000RR in the straights. I destroy him in the twisties but he kills me in the straights.

There is also a small motorcycle junkyard here in town that I picked up my bs32ss carbs at back in 07 I think I remember him saying something to the effect of having a few other zooks out there as well. Maybe I might be able to find an 1100/1150 engine or old 2 stroke as well :evingrin:

Comment

[QUOTE=mlymanz71;1778416]Wow I guess I am glad I posed the question on here, lots of good info mrbill5491 if you can get some info on that I might be able to shuffle some funds around and be interested if some engines are available.

I'll let you know when I found out something. Could a couple months yet.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                X