GSXR steering damper on a GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR steering damper on a GS1000

finally got round to fitting the GSXR damper to my GS, its quite simple and works perfectly. easily hits the steering stops both sides and has no clearance issues with anything.
    i made a simple bracket that bolts on to the front frame mounting holes,already there on a GS1000 but im not sure about other models.
    it needed spacing out here and there with a few washers to get it perfect but now i will get some proper spacers made up to suit.

a standard run of the mill 37mm fork clamp was used,readily available from ebay.

the damper used is an early GSXR600 model but i will be upgrading it to the electronic adjustable version just as soon as i figure out how to wire it up,i got one off ebay, a 2011 GSXR600L1 for £25.

looks fairly unobtrusive and will look even better when i get the polishing mops on it! i think i will be needing a shorter tacho cable to help it route better but thats an easy fix,
    here are a couple of pics.......

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Nice clean setup, Agemax.
    Were you experiencing a head shake?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      no not at all but its nice to know the damper is there should the situation arise. i have had dampers on most of my street bikes
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

It looks like the steering damper I had on my TL 1000 S...
        I hated it as it took all the feeling out of the steering especially in the tight turns.
        I replaced it by a Hyperpro damper that damps only high velocity movements.
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
          It looks like the steering damper I had on my TL 1000 S...
          I hated it as it took all the feeling out of the steering especially in the tight turns.
          I replaced it by a Hyperpro damper that damps only high velocity movements.
          thats why i am replacing it with an adjustable damper
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

got the electronic damper today, now to take it apart to see how it works.......

1978 GS1085.

Comment

I bet it's the same as the Honda one I had... The solenoid has a rubber seal on the bottom of it, oil will leak as soon as you remove it.

There is a piston underneath that the solenoid presses on which opens/closes the fluid paths inside.

Pretty simple really
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

here is the solenoid removed from the damper.........

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  It is nice; I don't think mine would have fit under the triple due to the oil cooler.
                  If the frame was bare, a welded tab would probably be better as well.

Without a fairing you could put it above the lower triple (out in front) . I don't think there is enough room for behind. That is why I ended up going to the side.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 11-29-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    here is the solenoid removed from the damper.........

Yep... looks familiar.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

i cant quite work it out, if i put 1.5V on it, nothing happens, 3V and nothing happens,9V and it pops right out, i am wondering if it is an all or nothing affair?
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Electric D

May I say something? My '07 1K was the first one to have one and it was controlled by the F.I. computer. I thought it was a variable orifice but may just be open or closed. I don't know how you would controll it either way. Maybe some type of speed sensor?
                        G
                        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                          May I say something? My '07 1K was the first one to have one and it was controlled by the F.I. computer. I thought it was a variable orifice but may just be open or closed. I don't know how you would controll it either way. Maybe some type of speed sensor?
                          G
                          i was thinking of a small voltage regulator adjustable by a small dial on the dash some where so you could alter the damping while riding,depending on conditions.
                          if it is just on or off then that would ruin my ideas slightly!
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            i cant quite work it out, if i put 1.5V on it, nothing happens, 3V and nothing happens,9V and it pops right out, i am wondering if it is an all or nothing affair?
                            I think that is different to the one I have.

Comment

to give the electronic damper a proper test i need a proper variable voltage supply.
                              can one of you clever sparks tell me if this item is suitable for my needs.
                              i think it does what i want it to do plus it has the external adjusting nob which i can mount up on the dash area.
                              cheers,

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X