No announcement yet.

GSXR steering damper on a GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks good for a bench test, will need some packaging for mounting on bike

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      It looks good for a bench test, will need some packaging for mounting on bike
      yeah i figured that, but if it works it is small enough to fit in a small box and hide it somewhere then make a nice little mount for the adjuster up on the dash area.
      would some how have to limit the output on it to maybe 12v max
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There is no need to limit the voltage, it is always less than the supply and 14v probably will not do any damage.
        According to the spec sheet with 12v in the max out is 9v
        Last edited by posplayr; 12-01-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

There is no need to limit the voltage, it is always less than the supply and 14v probably will not do any damage.
          According to the spec sheet with 12v in the max out is 9v
          ok thanks Pos
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

erm. i have just downloaded a 2011 gsxr600 factory manual and according to that there should be a constant 10V at the plug on the damper.
            now i am completely confused........does that mean it is controlled by resistance?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

After studying the manual further it is clear now that the damper has only 2 settings,on or off. this will make it a lot easier to wire up,i just need a simple on/off switch to change the setting. how would i drop the voltage down to 10V or would 12V be ok without blowing up the solenoid?
              i need to source a compatable plug to connect to the damper or modify it somehow to connect it up
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                After studying the manual further it is clear now that the damper has only 2 settings,on or off. this will make it a lot easier to wire up,i just need a simple on/off switch to change the setting. how would i drop the voltage down to 10V or would 12V be ok without blowing up the solenoid?
                i need to source a compatable plug to connect to the damper or modify it somehow to connect it up

measure the resistance of the solenoid. It could be that 10V is what they had available not the maximum the solenoid will handle. You will need to deal with 14.5-15.0 volts while charging.

If you need to drop down to a constant 10V you could do it with an inline resistor that is in series with the solenoid. It would be similar to a ballast resistor on a coil.

Comment

it says the resistance on the solenoid should be 12.5 ohms.
                  i would post up the couple of relating pages from the pdf manual but i dont know how to.
                  i could post the link to download the whole manual!
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

it says the resistance on the solenoid should be 12.5 ohms.
                    i would post up the couple of relating pages from the pdf manual but i dont know how to.
                    i could post the link to download the whole manual!
                    post the link but if you put 6 ohms in series with the solenoid at 14.5V operating voltage you have 10V at the solenoid. It will use about 0.8 amps

Comment

ok thanks Pos, here is the link to where i downloaded the manual....

the damper section starts at page 1A-101
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

ok thanks Pos, here is the link to where i downloaded the manual....

the damper section starts at page 1A-101
                        This will work, provide power and you can ground the switch anywhere on the frame

This is probably close enough. You will need a 5W device as there is quite a bit of current going through the solenoid.

The switch and resistor can be on either positive or negative side of the coil. It is the current that energizes it.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

thanks mate.
                          the other thing i dont get is that it says there should be 10V on the solenoid at rest with just the ignition on. that means the solenoid is activated at zero speed which pushes the restrictor out, making it at maximum damping.
                          does that imply that the damping gets lesser at higher speed?
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

thanks mate.
                            the other thing i dont get is that it says there should be 10V on the solenoid at rest with just the ignition on. that means the solenoid is activated at zero speed which pushes the restrictor out, making it at maximum damping.
                            does that imply that the damping gets lesser at higher speed?
                            use the switch and do it as you want.

Comment

use the switch and do it as you want.
                              will do, thanks.......
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

damper fitted now, bench tested and works fine. rebuilt and refilled with Silkolene 15w oil.feels nice.
                                just waiting for the OEM plug to finish wiring it up to a small toggle switch.

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                                X