Am i overthinking my rearset replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i overthinking my rearset replacements

Hi I have a 79 GS750 with original rearsets. I am wanting to change to a newer set.

Am I overthinking what I need to do with the change.

My thoughts are I need to :

1 Gear Side. Build an adaptor plate. Build a linkage that goes from the rearset to the gear box connector (otherwise known as the bit that joins from the gear pedal to the gearbox. Will it matter that the current gear selector is forward facing and the newer one will be rear to the current selector?

2. Brake side. build an adaptor plate. Connect the brake fluid connector to the new brake pedal.

Or am wrong.

Curent Rearset pictures.

You could use the shifter linkage off of a GS 550, use any length rod you want and put the rear sets wherever you want.
    Last edited by tkent02; 12-20-2012, 03:47 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looks easy to me, go for it. Get the rear sets your interested in set them in place where they look and feel right then just fab the pieces.

On my 1100 I used some 3/8" thk scrap Lexan plastic to prototype then made the new mounting plates out of similar thk aluminum. You could prototype plate out of plywood as well. Have you searched site using advanced search? It has to have been done before on a GS750. This is how Raask does it. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...%3Disch&itbs=1 also maybe search GS750 Cafe Bike on google.

The 1100 is more difficult because it has three mounting bolts but its also probably sturdier if your standing on the pegs. The Raask picture seems to show a higher mounting bolt location. I think you need to design it to be able to take your weight standing on the pegs.

Comment

I just posted this in another post so I copied it so not to have to re type it....This is what I did... I had got a set of old gsxr foot pegs and I made a cardboard cut out of angle I thought that they needed to be. the gsxr has a fitted shaft so they wont spin... anyway I got the hole angle and then made the front edge follow the frame angle. after i made my cut out I took it to the the local laser cutters and had it cut out of 12mm steel.. cost me 32 bucks for both sides. I welded them in place and mounted the foot pegs. worked out really well. for the brake I hadto mount the rear brake cylinder above, I used the original bracket and turned the brake cylinder upside down.. I think I may convert to a gsxr brake cylinder as they have the hose with a 90 degree fitting that makes the resevoir fitting much easier to mount.

Comment

If you need help I may be able assist you a bit... I may be able to get the original cad drawing used to make the brackets and then you could just go have them made or modify it to suit? PM me if you have any questions

Comment

Originally posted by Indyjoel View Post
            Hi I have a 79 GS750 with original rearsets. I am wanting to change to a newer set.

Am I overthinking what I need to do with the change.

My thoughts are I need to :

1 Gear Side. Build an adaptor plate. Build a linkage that goes from the rearset to the gear box connector (otherwise known as the bit that joins from the gear pedal to the gearbox. Will it matter that the current gear selector is forward facing and the newer one will be rear to the current selector?

2. Brake side. build an adaptor plate. Connect the brake fluid connector to the new brake pedal.

Or am wrong.

Curent Rearset pictures.

You are going to be limited as to what you can do IF you want to retain the use of you kick start option.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              You are going to be limited as to what you can do IF you want to retain the use of you kick start option.
              Unless the peg could be folded up close enough to the frame for the kickstarter to go right on by.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                I didn't even know the lever went down that far. I just checked mine...I've never used more than a half a kick to get it started. Are they not all like that? I guess I learned to kick on a very finicky thumper, and anything is easy compared to that XT.

Comment

Working...
                X