Tach and Speedo Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach and Speedo Cable?

Ok so I have a 78 GS 1000 the entire instument cluster looks like it was taken out by a baseball bat. I was thinking of trying to Bob or Rat out the bike if I do an electronic speedo tach do I use the cables the tach cable do you block it off where it comes out of the motor? I have no idea. Thanks

you can block it off if you wish to, but it is not nessecary as it wont leak any oil (unless the seals are shot, then it will)
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What about going to a digital tach

If I go to a digital tach what do I do with the tach cable coming from the motor

Comment

Originally posted by 1wyatt2 View Post
        If I go to a digital tach what do I do with the tach cable coming from the motor
        take it off!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If your 78 is like my 81, it will leak if you remove the tach cable (there are 2 seals there, AFAIK one to keep oil from going up the cable and the other to keep oil from leaking past the fitting). You'd need to find the proper size fitting to thread in. I don't know the size (14mm or so?) but I'm sure someone does.

Comment

I have gone through a few tach jobs in my day and ran E-tachs on cable bikes... For your resolution what I did was cut the old broken cable in half then took the bit that screws into the valve cover and filled it with black silicone. Let it dry over night, then install! Presto no leaks and your tach drive is safe and covered just in case you (or a buyer down the road) wants to install an OEM cluster on the bike. Cost is nothing if you have a broken tach cable and some silicone lying around... Most GSR guys do, so ask around if you need a broken cable or just cut the one you have... Maybe trade with someone that needs one???

As for splicing in for a tach signal; you'll want to use one of your ignition coil signaler wires. DONT USE BOTH!. That will let your Electronic Tach work.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
            X