Oil Pressue Sender Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressue Sender Thread

Does anyone know what the metric thread size is of the oil pressure sender?

I bought an aftermarket sender and electronic gauge. The sender is 1/8" PT which I believe is the same as 1/8" BSPT (British therefore metric?). 1/8" BSPT is 27 TPI.

1/8" BSPT is 9.278mm o/d, 0.907mm pitch and 28TPI.

referenced from here.........

British Standard Pipe Thread (BSP) sizes / dimensions including a BSP to mm conversion chart
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Why don't you get one of the plates with the extra boss on the end for a sensor? You should have no problem tapping the boss for 1/8 BSPT.

BTW, pipe threads have a tapered shape. They are not parallel thread like a normal bolt.

Check this for a photo...http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Suzuki-...sories&vxp=mtr
      Last edited by Nessism; 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks - I stand corrected - should have done more research on BSPT threads before posting.

But, the question was is that the same thread in the oil cover? I have an '80 motor with the sensor hole. Before I crank this in tight I want to make sure the threads are correct.

Comment

you should be able to tell if it is the same thread simply by screwing it in......if it screws in nicely then it is the same!
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            you should be able to tell if it is the same thread simply by screwing it in......if it screws in nicely then it is the same!
            it starts nice but stops after a few threads. Since it is a tapered hole, that isn't abnormal. But it also isn't abnormal to get a few threads of a standard thread into a metric hole before it stops.

I'm trying to error on the side of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
              it starts nice but stops after a few threads. Since it is a tapered hole, that isn't abnormal. But it also isn't abnormal to get a few threads of a standard thread into a metric hole before it stops.

I'm trying to error on the side of caution.

On a side note, I have found that Suzuki for some strange reason used a rather odd British thread for temp sensor. (Maybe not so odd if you're British) 1/8-28 BSTP, as opposed to 1/8-27 NPT. Getting taps to do the job is not an issue. But just an interesting bit of info.

Comment

maybe back in the late 70's the jap's bought a job lot (couple of million) of 1/8"BSPT pressure switches off us Brits for a bargain price haha.........
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

perfect! many thanks to all!

Comment

Kyler,

Your idea looks good

I think that what most everyone was trying to tell you that a top end oiler kit would be more helpful

Are you limited to 750cc in your class?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Kyler,

Your idea looks good

I think that what most everyone was trying to tell you that a top end oiler kit would be more helpful

Are you limited to 750cc in your class?
                      Top end oiler is in the planning stages. That is a much easier mod than the external oil cooler. I plan on doing both before the racing season starts. The hack motor doesn't get a lot of air for cooling. I'm very worried about that. Particularly when it runs at 8500RPM almost constantly for 20-minutes per session.

The 2013 rules haven't been released yet but I keep hearing rumors they will allow up to 1982 and up to 1200cc. If so, I see a bored 1100 motor in my future!

Comment

Working...
                      X