Hyperpak ignition cdi??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperpak ignition cdi??

Has anyone used these CDI boxes and do they help with fixing the electrical charging problems that our bikes so sadly are plagued with? Im replacing most of the electrical system and I think after reading the Stator papers I dont really want to mess with stock stuff if it will fail anyway! any incite on electrical components that should be replaced and what to replace them with would be greatly appreciated? I.E. R/R CDI Stator coils etc?!?!?

I wouldn't buy from any company what doesn't know what a CDI is.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Or doesn't know what is not a CDI.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        confused? what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          these answers are not really helping me? what would be a good replacment over stock...

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            I agree.

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
            confused? what do you mean?
            What we all mean is that the Suzuki GS series never had "CDI" ignition, so there is no way to have what they call "a direct plug in replacement for the original manufacturers (OEM) CDI unit".

They also state that it offers better performance "due to a more efficient timing curve", meaning that it can only be used on the newer bikes ('82 and up) that have the timing advance in the ignitor, not a mechanical advance on the crank.

If they want to advertise it as a replacement for the stock "ignitor", fine, but they advertise it as a replacement for a "CDI", which makes us wonder.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, caferacer, CDI is totally different from the electronic ignition (igniter) system that our bikes use. However, we do get newbies on here that try to call it a CDI, so we should have been a bit gentler in our explanations. That company, however, should know the difference, which makes us wonder if the system will actually work at all.

Comment

So then what use is this product?? What is a good upgrade instead then?

Comment

Hmm well what year of bike do you have?
                  maybe Dyna has an ignition for you.

Dynatek is the world leader in high performance electronic products for motorcycles. Best-in-class ignition solutions, fuel tuners, coil kits and more. Shop Online!

Comment

gs750, that site is really difficult to navigate; it is poorly designed and poorly implemented.
                    If you will tell us the year of your 750 we could provide additional assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
                      So then what use is this product?? What is a good upgrade instead then?
                      There is actually a very good chance that it is a decent product. It's just the way it is advertised that makes us a bit leery.

As koolaid_kid asked, though, what year is your 750? Different years can befefit from different solutions.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I have a 1980 750LT, I have to re do all my wiring due to moving all the electrical stuff to the rear under a seat cone.. While doing this I wish to upgrade all my electrical (especially the necessary bits of the charging system) but also the ignition stuff. I came across that TCI and thought maybe it was something you guys have heard of... Its good for me since its made here in New Zealand and the shipping is cheaper.. so far everything I buy is double price due to shipping! I admit knowing absolutely nothing about the electrical system beyond replacing stock with stock... Thanks for all the help

Comment

With your '80, it will not work. Their application chart says it's for '82 and up.

Up through '81 (and possibly some of the early '82s), the ignition advance was a set of weights and springs on the end of the crank. Starting in '82, they got rid of the mechanical system and put the advance into the ignitor. The unit you saw advertised has the built-in advance.

I don't know for sure whether you can remove your mechanical advance and run the new unit, but it's for sure that you don't want to have both.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I don't think that is possible, Steve. Dyna makes the correct solution for you.

Comment

This will work on your bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X