GS400E mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400E mods

I ride a GS400e 1983 since last spring, 4500kms made on it. I'm gonna make another post for suspension setup and for now I have some questions about performance. I heard about somebody who put GS500 carbs on it, does it really fit and works? I gonna put some exhaust to replace the ****ty restrictive stock exhaust ; I just saw MAC exhaust to my GS, another model like GS500 works for my 400? If you know another information about performance like cam, piston or trick about ignition for my GS400 it would be great . And sorry for my english, I'm french i'm from Québec!

Hi mate, not sure about that model 400, but the 500's carbs do swap directly with the 2 valve 450 carbs.

Probably check the parts fiche on www.cmsnl.com (yours will be listed as a GSX400) and see if the intake boots on the cylinder head are the same part number as the GS450 80 - 82 ones. If so, there's a good chance they'll fit and you'll just need to check the spacing etc.

If you want performance gains from carbs though, you'll probably want to look at some different carbs altogether, but I'm not really the guy with that info... but I suspect some Mikuni flatslides or VM32's or something along those lines.

You'll also need to free up the breathing, so some good quality pod filters (K&N or APE) will help there.

As for the exhaust, the 500's exhaust ports route straight out of the head whereas the 400/450 ports are on an angle, so you'll need to find something designed for those instead. There's a MAC 2 into 1 still available I believe but I have seen mixed reviews as to the quality etc.

As for pistons and things, that's really getting out of my league too...

Have a look in this thread by Mekanix too:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
      X