Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-pitch Squealing Sound from Front

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but figure it's a "tuning" question.

Anyway, when riding my '79 850, there is often a high-pitch squealing sound coming from the front end. I don't know where exactly (that's kind of my question) but it sounds like the front "dashboard" (if you call it that on a bike...).

My question is, is this common? And if not, any idea why, what, and where from this noise could be coming from?

It's really only when I'm riding (not idling) and get's louder the faster I go... but then will sometimes stop for a few seconds and then start back up again.

Not sure if something is loose, a cable is bad, or there is some other problem...

Any thoughts or where I might start in order to better diagnose the "problem" (if there is one) would be super appreciated!

Thanks all!

Nate

Sounds like maybe the tach or speedo cable is routed wrong and the core is rubbing hard against the inner sleeve?? Does it do it sitting still and does it get more with added RPMS???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

disconnect one cable at a time, ride see what happens.

Comment

No, doesn't do it when sitting still and yes, louder with added RPMS (but then will go quite sometimes).

I thought it was a cable issue too... could it be rubbing?

When I first bought the bike, the needle in my speedometer was jumping all over the place, so I used some graphite lubricant to grease it up (took out cable from sleeve and rubbed graphite on it).

I don't know if it's connected or not, but figured I'd mention it.

How would it be routed wrong? Or maybe the question is, how should they be routed?

Comment

It comes up from the backside of the tree and up to the speedo nut screw on point. Things is it just shouldnt be sharply bent when routed and it shouldnt pinch or kink when you turn the bars. I would take a red straw and bend it so you can squirt some lube up into the gear drive on the bottom of the speedo too. Also when your moving take your hand and touch diffeent things..head light, speedo and cable tach etc etc to see if it stops when you hit the right thing.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dragging brakes will squeal. If you've had your front wheel off and didn't get it centered properly, that will cause a squeal, as will dry wheel bearings, or a dry speedometer drive on the front wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Dragging brakes will squeal. If you've had your front wheel off and didn't get it centered properly, that will cause a squeal, as will dry wheel bearings, or a dry speedometer drive on the front wheel.
              My guess is the front brakes, does the noise change with the speed of the motorcycle?
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                My guess is the front brakes, does the noise change with the speed of the motorcycle?
                Yes, but not always. It sometimes get's higher and faster (quicker whine) when speeding up.

Comment

Lubricate the speedometer itself, not just the cable. And the tachometer.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by natejelovich View Post
                    Yes, but not always. It sometimes get's higher and faster (quicker whine) when speeding up.
                    What happens when you slow down?

Does it vary with the engine rpm?
                    There's got to be a way to pin it down.
                    Does it change at all when you squeeze the front brake lever.
                    Tire chaffing on the fender?
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

What happens when you slow down?
                      Whine decreases in pitch and "speed"

Does it vary with the engine rpm?
                      Yes

Does it change at all when you squeeze the front brake lever.
                      I'm trying to remember right now, but no I don't think so.

Tire chaffing on the fender?
                      Nah, tire seems totally clear/fine...

Tons of great things here from everyone. Thank you!! I love this forum.

I think I am going to try and grease up the tach and speedo cables.

Question, how do I grease/lubricate the actual speedometer? Spray inside the speedometer itself? I think that's what's been recommended, but want to make sure... Seems like a lot of electrical parts could get damaged.

Comment

Nothing electrical in there. Grease in between the inner part that the cable turns, and the outer part that it turns in. Easiest if you turn it all upside down first.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Nothing electrical in there. Grease in between the inner part that the cable turns, and the outer part that it turns in. Easiest if you turn it all upside down first.
                          Ah ok, I think I got it. Just the places where the cables connect. Not inside the actual speedometer itself.

Comment

That's what squeals is the inner spinning part inside the outer part. There is no bearing, just the one part spinning inside the other. Grease will make it turn smoothly.

Tach and speedometer are the same.

Comment

Little red straw in the nozzle and turn it up toward the fittings. Thats spray white lithium grease is very good for the job and will last a long time in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X