850 g engine swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 g engine swap questions

decided to keep my bike, i wanna do a 1000 chain drive swap...any better engines that will bolt up with little to no modifcation of the frame?

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    decided to keep my bike, i wanna do a 1000 chain drive swap...any better engines that will bolt up with little to no modifcation of the frame?
    Wouldn't it just be easier to sit back watch and wait for a complete low dollar 1000-1100 to show up . Just ride what you got and find a bigger bike to build. It doesn't matter you are in for alot of work either way, and this way you will still have something to ride. Makes sense to me.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Changing from a shaft to a chain can be done, but it will require major mods and lots of money.
      You would be better off either converting the 850 to a 1000 shaft, or just purchasing a 1000 or 1100 chain drive bike.

Comment

No go. The frames and swingarms are completely different. You'd basically be rebuilding much of the frame from scratch, and somehow building your own hybrid swingarm.

Even if you had the welding equipment, jigs, and experience to pull it off safely, it would still be easier to just buy a chain drive bike if that's what you want.

If you really want more power, you can drop in a bigger shaft drive engine quite easily -- maybe you can find an 1100G/GL/GK or 1000G/GL with no title. You'd need the engine, carbs, driveshaft, and airbox, but the frames and mounting points are the same.

Before you decide you need more power, make sure your 850 is actually running right -- not many are. You also need to make sure you're revving it over 6K to get to the powerband. Twist it up and it's a very entertaining engine. Putt around like a little old lady on a Hardley, as many 850 owners do, and you'll wonder why the thing seems so gutless.

Then upgrade the suspension and brakes a bit, spoon on some decent tires, take a class or two and actually learn to ride, and you'll discover the sick fun of squid hunting on a vintage bike... when they're set up right, these things are far more agile in the twisties than anyone expects.

Or, if you want chain drive for some reason (you like dirt and buying expensive chains and sprockets every year or two, maybe? ), buy a chain drive bike.

Yes, I guess I'm a shaftie chauvanist...
        Last edited by bwringer; 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What they said. I've thought about the idea of putting in a bigger motor, but really the 850 lump is pretty entertaining. Try to keep it above 6500 on your favorite extra twisty road. You'll be smiling.

In my opinion your money is much better spent upgrading the suspension than the motor. And maybe some new tires to replace your bald ones .

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
            What they said. I've thought about the idea of putting in a bigger motor, but really the 850 lump is pretty entertaining. Try to keep it above 6500 on your favorite extra twisty road. You'll be smiling.

In my opinion your money is much better spent upgrading the suspension than the motor. And maybe some new tires to replace your bald ones .
            recetly learned how to hang off the side of the bik ein a corner...that 35 mph corner went for taking it at 55 or 60 to about 75...with me going crap crap crap all the way through...

my tach hasnt worked in months, but picking up a prestine set of 92 gixxer gauges in a week

Comment

recetly learned how to hang off the side of the bik ein a corner...that 35 mph corner went for taking it at 55 or 60 to about 75...with me going crap crap crap all the way through...

my tach hasnt worked in months, but picking up a prestine set of 92 gixxer gauges in a week
              At least you'll have a working tach soon. That is pretty essential for riding hard. Not only is it good to know where you are in the powerband, but I've noticed that around a certain RPM the bike tips into corners better. It has to do with the rotating mass of the engine.

Also get some performance riding training. Hanging off isn't as critical as where your weight is on the bike, and how you push through a corner. Check out Lee Park's book Total Control, or any of the Keith Code stuff for good information on how to ride faster better and safer. It really helped me out a lot.

Comment

You don't need a tach. If its still pulling in any gear, you are fine. It will run out of breath before it hurts itself. I would prefer a tach, but if you shift when it stops pulling, you will be fine.

Not That slow...

Faster than the "Widowmaker" in 1974
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hope you have better luck than i've had, three sets, all of them with tacho no worky...
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                  X