Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit 1200 head on a GS1150 motor

I did a search and didn't get anything
    Ok I have a GS1150 well it is really a GSX1100EFE it was sold in Canada and Europe as an 1100 and here as a GS1150 anyway it has 66'' wheel base it has 39 Keihins carbs, 76mm Wiseco pistons, the crank is welded and balanced, back cut trany, with a bone stock head. I want the bike to run in the street fighter class 9.50 index so that means I need it to run 9.30's Here at home. So I was thinking I could just pull the head and install a Bandit 1200 head I have already it is a 30/25 mm Valve head with .400 IN/.370 EX cam That combo should run some low 9.30's. Right.

What do you think?

If someone could direct me to a link where it has been done with maybe a list of the items needed to make the swap I would greatly appreciate it
    My stable
    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

I don't know for sure, but having been inside both of those heads for routine stuff, (not anywhere near the extent of the racer guys on here) I'm not entirely sure that's even physically possible. But then again, the bandit motor is based off of early gsxr/gsf engines and i seem to recall someone doing a swap between a GS and one of those...so what do I know??

Aside from physical footprint, I would think the other limiting factor would be oiling map..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I don't know for sure, but having been inside both of those heads for routine stuff, (not anywhere near the extent of the racer guys on here) I'm not entirely sure that's even physically possible. But then again, the bandit motor is based off of early gsxr/gsf engines and i seem to recall someone doing a swap between a GS and one of those...so what do I know??

Aside from physical footprint, I would think the other limiting factor would be oiling map..

Well welcome back stranger..

Comment

I know it can be done the Bandit head and the Gixxer head are the same. I am just not sure which stud kit to use. I know I need to block off the front oil drain holes. I am sure I can figure it out. I was just thinking if someone had already don this then maybe they could save me some time
        My stable
        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

From Racingjake on dragbike.com installing a 750 dot head (oiler head from 1100 would apply)

"Use GS cam sprockets on the GSXR camsand GSXR1100 front cam chain guide

Use two 28mm brass freeze plugs to plug up the 2 front drain ports

Use 1150 studs with extra washers and before you put the head on work a couple of O-rings in between the cylinder block and studs on# 1 & 3.Use 2 per stud and then put the head gasket on and put one more o-ring and push it down until it hits the headgasketThere's a drain hole inside the head on those two holes that will leak big timedown the studsif you don't seal them.

You may need to grind the outer lip of your exhaust tubes to fit inside the head

Check Valve to piston clearance

Might be forgetting something else but those are the biggies"

Rapidray would have more insight.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I've done over 30 of them. Call me at 714--356-7845. I have one currently in my small tire drag bike & with STOCK cams, it has gone 9.19 @ 145. It runs 9.30s in 100 degree weather. It went 9.38, 9.36 & 9.34 at Vegas with 4800 feet corrected altitude. 10 to 1 compression, push button start, ride it up & ride it back. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              Well welcome back stranger..
              Tales of my demise were greatly exaggerated
              Much to the chagrin of some of you, I am still very much alive and kicking.
              Just been quite busy with life, it's winter, and my distaste for certain individuals on here had me thinking it was time for a bit of a break. but, thanks! It seems I've missed some fun around here.

Comment

Tales of my demise were greatly exaggerated
                Much to the chagrin of some of you, I am still very much alive and kicking.
                Just been quite busy with life, it's winter, and my distaste for certain individuals on here had me thinking it was time for a bit of a break. but, thanks! It seems I've missed some fun around here.
                Who is this?
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  Who is this?
                  LOL. We missed you, Josh. I figured you were over on some Kwacker forum discussing your latest toy.

Comment

Some good info here:

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      LOL. We missed you, Josh. I figured you were over on some Kwacker forum discussing your latest toy.
                      Nah, most of those guys are right sods over there, and that's the beauty of the ZRX. It works, with a few minor exceptions, just like a GS, except more modernererer, so I know how to work on it

Besides, no one compares to this lot of wackos.

Comment

We've gained a few new whackos since you left.
                        And one went on permanent "bye-bye" to the relief of many.
                        Say "Hi" to Rose for me, please.

Comment

Good to hear from you again Josh. How's life with the wife treating you? Ray.

Comment

Nah, most of those guys are right sods over there, and that's the beauty of the ZRX. It works, with a few minor exceptions, just like a GS, except more modernererer, so I know how to work on it

Besides, no one compares to this lot of wackos.

my gay-dar just went off...hmmmm
                            i wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Good to hear from you again Josh. How's life with the wife treating you? Ray.
                              Good! We've both been working a lot. Trying to get ahead again, you know the cycle of being middle class Americans

Looking forward to the end of winter...seems we've both been sick and trading it back and forth all winter. First the flu, now a wicked head/chest cold etc. I don't know if Rose quite hates Ohio as much as I do, but I think she's getting there hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X