rear suspension for 78 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear suspension for 78 GS550

Before I get into it, yes I've searched....so much info to sort.

1978 GS550. I'm 6' 2" in height, and weigh in at 250+lbs.

That being said...I'm looking at picking up some rear shocks....most likely the MDI/Emgo/etc shocks mainly bc of cost and the fact that the springrate/stiffness will probably match up well with my weight.

My question is which shock length should I go for? I don't mind going a lil taller (supposedly helps sharpen the steering).

Anywho...should I be picking up the 365mm(14.3") or the 335mm (13 3/16") length?

Thanks!

Don't buy into the stiffer springs for fat people idea. It will break your ass with those cheap shocks...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

what about shock length? what's ideal shock length that is longer than stock?

Comment

You want to get as close to stock as possible. Going a significant amount longer changes the geometry of the bike and handling will suffer. Sometimes enough to be dangerous.

Comment

ok...what is stock from eye to eye?

Comment

I'm not sure what the stock length on the 550 is but most are about 13"-13.5 inches for the "E" models. 12.5-13 for the "L". If your stickers were 13.5s, 14.3 won't be a change so significant to make the bike twitchy, and it will speed the steering up and make the bike feel a bit lighter.

But I'll also echo the sentiments on those MDI shocks. Once I was heavier than you, (down to about 230 now,6'3plus) and they beat the hell out of me. Not so much the spring stiffness as it was the damping was way way to harsh.
            With two up, it felt good, but I also didn't ride as hard with the wife on the back.
            Solo, the damping was so bad the wheel would hop on less than smooth surfaces to the point of being ass puckering.

Comment

thanks...good to know. I figured if the MDI shocks will work , why not....but if it's basically gonna ride like a hardtail... ugh.

Guess I'll start lookin' into Hagons as well...

Comment

Hagons are good, but they will sell you too stiff springs too if you let them.

Comment

I've considered Hagons as well....though I like the price of the MDI's much more!

As far as a stiff/harsh ride, I used to ride sportbikes so I much prefer a taut ride where I can sense what the bike is doing as opposed to riding a lazyboy floating cream puff of a bike.

Comment

Tell Hagon to sell you the big springs.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenwabbit View Post
                      I've considered Hagons as well....though I like the price of the MDI's much more!

As far as a stiff/harsh ride, I used to ride sportbikes so I much prefer a taut ride where I can sense what the bike is doing as opposed to riding a lazyboy floating cream puff of a bike.
                      It's not a "good" stiff. Hrmm that sounded a little...wrong.
                      Anyway, like I said its an over damped stiff. You can feel things, but not the way you want. Square bumps will feel like they're four feet tall when they're an inch.
                      Basically it'll feel like most Japanese bikes magnified by three. Undersprung, over damped, and generally like a wet noodle with spikes in it...hahaha

Comment

Get the Progressives. The MDIs are way too stiff no matter what your weight is.

Comment

okay... so moral of this story is stiff emgo + arse= arse pounding. i'm calling up on some hagons tomorrow morning.

thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenwabbit View Post
                            okay... so moral of this story is stiff emgo + arse= arse pounding.
                            Some guys like that. Do you?

Comment

How about reading some suspension setup guides and try to get a feel of what you have and where you want to go??
                              Progressive springs are ok for people who change around alot, pillion, solo, 2 up, baggage. I would never use them myself, but my goals are a bit different....
                              I'm not happy before I get my kneesliders worn out on one of my old bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X