interesting "air scoop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting "air scoop"

not seen anything like this before, a Yoshi idea or just somebody experimenting with cooling/air flow?
    (very nice leathers as well!)

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Dave Aldana

Comment

I've been wondering how road racers protected the engine covers. Looks like a plate has been welded to this one

Comment

Oddly, that being a race bike (and I suppose it would matter what class it was in) it has the stock 4into4 Z1 pipes on it.

Aldana was famous for those leathers. The governing body of the AMA threatened to ban him if he continued to wear them. I read an article in which I believe it was Kenny Roberts talking about him. Said something to the effect of the first time you ever saw him over your shoulder on the track it was a bit intimidating. It looked like death himself was chasing you.

I don't think he ever had a stellar career, bounced around from one team to another and IIRC finished out as a privateer funding his own entry's.
        but he was a character in a time full of characters in motorcycle racing.
        It's a damn shame it isn't more popular in the states than it is anymore..

Oh...here's a wiki on him

Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
          I've been wondering how road racers protected the engine covers. Looks like a plate has been welded to this one
          The plate has been welded on because they cut the cover at an angle to improve ground clearance.

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

A stock z1 at Daytona them guys had ginormous balls
            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
            1994 gsxr1100w
            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
              It's not stock ,it's got that air scoop
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Oh I doubt greatly that it was bone stock. A close look at the pic reveals what appear to be VM33 smoothbores carbs, or at least the caps look as though they are. The brake discs appear to be either aftermarket or modified and then there's that crazy air scoop which would suggest that the engine has likely been bored to the point that the cylinder walls are thin enough that they were worried about overheating whilst spinning constant high RPMs. Tough to tell but the rear shocks look as though they're upgraded to a point.
                But yes, it's odd that it has stock pipes, stock seat, gauges etc. I wonder what year that pic is from? It's possible he was either racing for himself, and simply didn't have the funds to dump into such things or was racing for a smaller team.
                Either way they'd likely dumped money into the Yosh bits..

Comment

OK I didn't mean bone stock but original forks I don't see a brace or a damper so it would be a little sketchy on the high banks
                  sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                  1994 gsxr1100w
                  1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

OK I didn't mean bone stock but original forks I don't see a brace or a damper so it would be a little sketchy on the high banks
                    Yeah I don't see one either. There looks like there might be something wrapped over the top of the fender, like maybe one of those "tweak bar" braces but I dunno. If it is it's awfully thin. Stock or not, all of those guys had humongous nutts hahaha. I love looking at these old photos. It's so cool to see how things have changed over the years, not just in the bikes but the helmets and gear etc. I mean look at his "knee puck". And the helmet. And I bet the "armor" in his leathers consisted of...more leather and MAYBE some foam.

I've got a bunch of cool photos I found on the net of the Team Hammer Suzuki endurance bikes. It starts with the old school tube double cradle frame we have on our bike with a GS1000 2V lump shoved in it, it's been monoshocked and the frame has been braced but other than that and the custom bodywork/fairing it looks pretty much like a GS, then the pics progress to the following years and you can see the developments in not so much the engine, which remained the GS1000 lump for another three or four years, but the suspension components, brakes, and most importantly the frame. Within a couple years, say 82 or 83 you could see the hints of gixxer in the race bike. Extruded aluminum twin spar frame, the *electronic* anti-dive system that was used on the first gen gsxr750 was developed out of the endurance racer (and incidentally worked quite well compared to the system used on the GSes, as it wasn't tied into the brake system, but instead used an electric servo to close the ports off in the forks when the front brake lever was activated). The bodywork became sleeker, more gixxer-esque. Then finally in '86 they had a full on GSXR based bike, engine and all. The photos continue all the way up to the 2012 GSXR1K based works racer. I have all these in 5x7 and eventually ill frame them all and hang them on the wall in order. Just a really cool "time line" of how Suzuki went from the GS we all love and a very competent race bike in its day to the king of the track in the GSXR.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Yeah I don't see one either. There looks like there might be something wrapped over the top of the fender, like maybe one of those "tweak bar" braces but I dunno. If it is it's awfully thin. Stock or not, all of those guys had humongous nutts hahaha. I love looking at these old photos. It's so cool to see how things have changed over the years, not just in the bikes but the helmets and gear etc. I mean look at his "knee puck". And the helmet. And I bet the "armor" in his leathers consisted of...more leather and MAYBE some foam.

I've got a bunch of cool photos I found on the net of the Team Hammer Suzuki endurance bikes. It starts with the old school tube double cradle frame we have on our bike with a GS1000 2V lump shoved in it, it's been monoshocked and the frame has been braced but other than that and the custom bodywork/fairing it looks pretty much like a GS, then the pics progress to the following years and you can see the developments in not so much the engine, which remained the GS1000 lump for another three or four years, but the suspension components, brakes, and most importantly the frame. Within a couple years, say 82 or 83 you could see the hints of gixxer in the race bike. Extruded aluminum twin spar frame, the *electronic* anti-dive system that was used on the first gen gsxr750 was developed out of the endurance racer (and incidentally worked quite well compared to the system used on the GSes, as it wasn't tied into the brake system, but instead used an electric servo to close the ports off in the forks when the front brake lever was activated). The bodywork became sleeker, more gixxer-esque. Then finally in '86 they had a full on GSXR based bike, engine and all. The photos continue all the way up to the 2012 GSXR1K based works racer. I have all these in 5x7 and eventually ill frame them all and hang them on the wall in order. Just a really cool "time line" of how Suzuki went from the GS we all love and a very competent race bike in its day to the king of the track in the GSXR.
                      That twin spar frame was from Moriwaki

THe KZ had the stock pipes because that was the rules in early Superbike, the legal mods were pretty limited at first, then expanded every year (not counting all the frame mods and other cheating that went on) The mufflers are likely gutted

That scoop is probably to smooth air flow for the carbs
                      Last edited by Big T; 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Oddly, that being a race bike (and I suppose it would matter what class it was in) it has the stock 4into4 Z1 pipes on it.

Aldana was famous for those leathers. The governing body of the AMA threatened to ban him if he continued to wear them. I read an article in which I believe it was Kenny Roberts talking about him. Said something to the effect of the first time you ever saw him over your shoulder on the track it was a bit intimidating. It looked like death himself was chasing you.

I don't think he ever had a stellar career, bounced around from one team to another and IIRC finished out as a privateer funding his own entry's.
                        but he was a character in a time full of characters in motorcycle racing.
                        It's a damn shame it isn't more popular in the states than it is anymore..

Oh...here's a wiki on him

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Aldana
                        He made the AMA hall of fame. That is pretty good. I saw him race at Ascot in those leathers back in the late 78. He was racing a Ron Wood Norton in the AMA half mile National, which was won by Alex Jorgenson on his Ron Wood Norton.

I went to Ron Wood Racing in Costa Mesa a couple years ago to pick up a manual for the Rotax motor in my ATK. They showed me a bunch of the old race bikes. Totally cool.
                        Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-26-2013, 11:23 AM.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

That scoop is probably to smooth air flow for the carbs
                          They are in the wrong place for that. It's a cooling thing.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As far as being sketchy on the high banks is concerned, there is a reason that the first Superbike championship was won on a BMW
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

you can get a replica of those leathers http://www.pilotleathers.com/alpha_pil_060810.html

Comment

Working...
                              X