Valve Spring Pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Spring Pressure?

I've read here several times about going to too stiff a valve spring and causing premature cam wear. Which would be better, new stock valve springs (or aftermarket with same seat pressure) or the Ape springs that are good up to 0.4 lift for the 1100/1150? The cams used would be no more than the Web Cam .340 (223) or the Cam Motion G3's at .345? Requires less than APE 0.4's. Can the stock at (?) seat pressure handle these cams? There is a top end oiler with this and also running the 750 oil pump gears and 1150 stock oil cooler (probably more looks than function).
    Last edited by 6pkrunner; 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM.
    1983 GS1100E

The stock springs will be fine with .340s unless it is a drag bike. If in doubt, shim the springs to 50 psi @ installed height. If it is a race motor or has bigger cams, the spring pressure needs to be 55-60. Ray.
    Last edited by rapidray; 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Wow! An immediate answer. Thanks Ray. And this thing is as far away from a drag bike as one can get. Never checked dealer price yet. I suppose stockers are more than APE's.

I see the 1100's and 1150's call for the same spring listed as - SPRING SET,VALV 12920-49210

And yes, it works out to be more than the high performance ones. Gotta love it.
      1983 GS1100E

Comment

You should have the cam followers hard faced with performance cams & springs.
        Top end oilier helps too

Comment

He already has an oiler & cams that small are no problem for stock rockers. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            You should have the cam followers hard faced with performance cams & springs.
            Top end oilier helps too
            I've seen this one bantered around quite a bit also, with not much consensus one way or another. I'm sure wilder grinds would certainly benefit from the stiffer springs and stronger rocker faces, I am wondering with the just above stock profiles and Ray saying stock springs are okay if they are necessary? I really don't know. There are quite a few guys here running the 223 grind and not much mention in their builds about hard facing the rockers. But then I don't think I've found a long term report on how they're living either. Most of the threads I read leaned toward oil starvation more than rocker hardness. Same as the oil feed bump. Some say you have to grind it, others say its fine. Again this is at most a .345 lift engine. Is it necessary for clearance or long life?

I'm not sure, I haven't been down the Suzuki road before. I figured to toss it out to those who've been there and done that. I don't mind beefing up areas that need attention, but to overcompensate and be detrimental to engine life is nearly as bad. However I'd say hard facing isn't of any harm.

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            He already has an oiler & cams that small are no problem for stock rockers. Ray.
            Ray swings a lot of weight in my opinion.
            Last edited by 6pkrunner; 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM.
            1983 GS1100E

Comment

Grind the oil bumps off & use an oiler. The oiler puts more oil where it's needed but it ALSO benefits by cooling the valve springs with the extra oil. HEAT is the biggest killer of valve springs & the oiler helps cut down the heat on the springs. Ray.

Comment

Should the ground down area oil hole be chamfered?
                1983 GS1100E

Comment

I have used .380 lift cams on stock rockers without issues. I ALWAYS use oilers though, & 750 oil pump gears. Ray.

Comment

Again good enough for me.
                    1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by 6pkrunner View Post
                      Should the ground down area oil hole be chamfered?
                      Not a bad idea, I usually do it with a drill bit that is a little bigger than the hole & then make sure all the debris is blown out. Ray.

Comment

You use hard face rockers with hard face cams. Billet cam use stock rockers.

I have .410/.380 cams in my 1150 with stock rockers and no top end oiler 5,000 miles and hunderds of passes later no wear on either 45 lbs seat pressure shift light is set at 10,000 rpm.
                        I have never used more than 50 lbs of seat pressure on a head. I could see the need for more pressure on a pro stock bike
                        Last edited by stetracer; 01-29-2013, 12:21 AM.
                        My stable
                        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Working...
                        X