1981 Suzuki GS750E / GS1100E Swingarm Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki GS750E / GS1100E Swingarm Swap

Well, I finished my swingarm swap today. The key was a friend I met on GSResources who made the essential parts - the custom inner races. (He also made the center spacer and bolt.)

The custom inner races allow you to use the stock GS1100E bearings, which are 33mm OD X 25mm ID X 35mm long, and the stock swingarm bolt, which is 14mm.

It all went together like a charm tonight, with new thrust washers, grease caps and the new, shortened bolt.

These are the beautiful parts that made the swap possible: Shortened bolt, 25mm OD X 14mm ID X 35mm inner races, center spacer, and nut.

Comment

This is my bearing press. Worked better with a C-clamp holding the swingarm in place!

Comment

Here's the first bearing, in place.

Comment

Here's the swingarm, in place with new grease caps and thrust washers.

Comment

The bolt head.

Comment

Nut and washer.

Comment

A 1982 GS1100E swingarm on a 1981 GS750E.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Good job! I am just not a fan of the 750 pivot bolt, with the smaller diameter. I think Suzuki went bigger due to weight. If you ever steo up to an 1100 motor I would think about drilling your frame to the 1100 pivot bolt. Nice work! Ray.

Comment

Ray,

Does that swingarm look familiar? That's the one I got from you!

Thanks for contributing to my project!

Comment

How is this working out? Any problems with this route? I got a 79 750 and an 83 1100 swing arm I'm looking to mount.

Comment

Have you figured out how much longer of a chain you'll end up needing? The swingarm looks great btw and those custom spacers are sexy!

Comment

Nice and clean setup for sure. I know I had fun with my swing arm swap

When I did my swing arm swap and 530 sprocket/chain conversion, I believe I ordered a 140 or 160 link chain. I just took off the links I didn't need. Rather order it a bit long then it be too short.

My swap I used the 1100 pivot bolt, cut out the frame bushings and had new ones machined and welded those in and even though I used the 1100 pivot bolt, the stock one was about 2 1/2 inches too short because of my stock peg mounts, so had a new bolt made as well. What the short rides I've had so far, seems to be working just fine.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                            X