A side stand for your deluxe rizoma based restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A side stand for your deluxe rizoma based restomod

We spend a lot of time and money to restomod our GS 1000/1100 but...we keep the OEM agricultural looking side stand
    While I was installing my Kerker K2 exhausts, I researched an alternate solution and discovered that the 600 CBF Hornet ( 2nd gen) has a side stand that could easily fit our GS 1000's
    I did not use it myself because it will only work with a 4 into 1 exhaust (GPmotowerks?).
    In practice you attach the side stand rear hole to the bike's main stand hole and you only need to fabricate a support for the front hole.
    That should be easy because you are very close to the original main stand support bracket.
    The good news is that the side stand is fully tucked in, is long enough to keep the bike from tilting over and thirdly has an integral switch to cut the ignition when deployed
    Last but not least the "agricultural" look is gone!
    Here are some pictures:

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

looks good John, do you have a decent pic with the stand retracted?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

No problemo
      Here we go:
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

cool, doesn't look long enough to me but if you say it is then i believe you, you have the GSXR monoshock on the rear, what is the height from floor to bottom of frame rail on your bike?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

With the bike vertically on it's wheels and no one on board, the center of the gear shift rod is at 282 mm from ground.
          In that position the side stand is 20 mm away from ground.
          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

the same measurement on mine is 300mm.........maybe a bit to high for that stand..
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I measured my almost std GS 1000 ST with a 140/80*17 rear tire and I found 285 mm.
              How come yours is so high?
              Do you have an 18" rear wheel or longer shocks?
              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                I measured my almost std GS 1000 ST with a 140/80*17 rear tire and I found 285 mm.
                How come yours is so high?
                Do you have an 18" rear wheel or longer shocks?
                i have a GSXR monoshock with 180/55/17 rear tire,GSXR600 rear shock, plus i have the longer GSX1100 Katana front forks
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ok that explains why your bike is higher than standard
                  In fact it makes the adaptation bracket easier to make I believe, as you will have more latitude to position it but still use the proposed mounting points?
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

worth a look i reckon, will have a poke about see if i can get a cheap one off ebay...
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

That must be a hollow tubular steel stand, correct? Any comparison of weight versus the old stand?????
                      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chuck, I'll measure that for you tomorrow
                        Yes, the Hornet side stand is hollow
                        sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

why not just lose the safety switch? This usually the first thing I remove followed immediately by the clutch safety switch.

Comment

Nice work John, thanks for the share. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                              why not just lose the safety switch? This usually the first thing I remove followed immediately by the clutch safety switch.
                              The clutch switch I'm totally with you on. I yank that out of the headlamp bucket first thing on any GS or similarly equipped bike i pick up. I also hate working on other people's bikes who still have it, as pulling the lever in, hitting the button while tinkering on carbs, or trying to read a VOM and keep the leads where they are supposed to be at the same time is nearly impossible. Lol

But, the side stand switch has actually saved my bacon a couple times, and I can't tell you how many times I've been on a rally and seen guys come rushing out of a petrol station trying to not be left behind by an anxious bunch of road burners, and they've taken off with their side stand down. This of course results in a symphony of screaming GSers and bike horns. "SIDE STAND!!! SIDE STAND!!!" They always look down, flick it with their toe and nod a sheepish "Thanks" to everyone and off we go. Thankfully I've never seen anyone get punished by their bike for forgetting, but I know a few who have.
                              That one I think is worth keeping. I usually have the stand up as soon as my butt hits the seat, but everyone forgets now and then.

My ZRX even goes a step further than a reminder light. If you leave the stand down, and then put it in gear it will kill the engine as soon as you start to let the clutch out. Handy for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X