Primary & secondary sprocket mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primary & secondary sprocket mods

Hi there all, I have a 1980 GS750E and I want to convert to 530 chain & sprockets. Are there any negative issues with the conversion? I want to convert to reduce some weight and go with the endless o-ring chain like all modern road bikes. Thanks in advance guys.

hi and welcome, there are no real negatives with a 530 conversion. less weight,quieter running and cheaper than the 630 kits.
    however i would not suggest an endless chain. you dont need it and its a PITA having to drop the whole back end off to fit the chain.
    get a decent chain with a rivet link or a master spring clip link. if fitted correctly they wont give you any trouble
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for that info. Agemax!

Comment

check out this thread, gives a lot of info into 530 conversions.

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          however i would not suggest an endless chain. you dont need it and its a PITA having to drop the whole back end off to fit the chain.
          Just out of curiosity, Age, ...

How much is involved in servicing the swingarm bearings?

Do you have to remove the swingarm to do that?

How often should you do that?

Wouldn't it be awfully convenient if that would happen at the same time as a chain replacement?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Just out of curiosity, Age, ...

How much is involved in servicing the swingarm bearings?

Do you have to remove the swingarm to do that?

How often should you do that?

Wouldn't it be awfully convenient if that would happen at the same time as a chain replacement?

sure, it would be convenient if your swingarm bearings need servicing!
            but if they dont, or have recently been done, then it is a PITA to have to drop the whole back end off when you dont need to.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I like the endless chain myself and do not mind taking off the shocks and swingarm as it gives me a chance to examine and clean everything in that area at the same time.
              Like Steve pointed out is a good chance to clean and re grease swingarm bearings also.
              I am really rough on my bikes and have not had any luck keeping a clip on my master link whether installed by me correctly or two different dealers on a number of bikes.
              Other people seem to have better results then ME but I would Imagine riding styles or abuse may be a lot different.
              Am going with 630 chain for the same reasons.

Comment

Working...
              X