Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mono shock conversion?

is it possible on a shaftie?

has anyone got pics of one done up chain or shaft?

just curious...im snowed in an thought of tryin to convert my ugly rear dual spring

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

has anyone got pics of one done up chain or shaft?

just curious...im snowed in an thought of tryin to convert my ugly rear dual spring
    I've toyed with the idea as well. I actually tried to draw it out, but it just did not work for me(limited tools, budget, small knowledge of suspension). It could be done if you had a good amount of knowledge, tools, and suspension. I just don't want to destroy something I love yet

Check this out. May give you a bit of direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
      I've toyed with the idea as well. I actually tried to draw it out, but it just did not work for me(limited tools, budget, small knowledge of suspension). It could be done if you had a good amount of knowledge, tools, and suspension. I just don't want to destroy something I love yet

Check this out. May give you a bit of direction.

seeing that i do belive i can put my gixxer shock to use now thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
        Yes, it's possible, Suzuki did it on the GSX1100G.

Is it practical? That would depend on how much time/effort/money you want to put into it.

You may not have enough room on the swingarm to do the lower mounts, and it will be rather difficult to either make a new swingarm or modify your current one.

Just remember that "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. Can't say that I have heard of dual-shock setups being "ugly" before.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Yes, it's possible, Suzuki did it on the GSX1100G.

Is it practical? That would depend on how much time/effort/money you want to put into it.

You may not have enough room on the swingarm to do the lower mounts, and it will be rather difficult to either make a new swingarm or modify your current one.

Just remember that "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. Can't say that I have heard of dual-shock setups being "ugly" before.

there ugly on my bike...i can fabricate pretty well everything...just the battery location is my main issue

Comment

shaft drive shock conversion

the cheaper option would probably be go out and buy the bike steve just suggested used. Easier too.
            1981 GS750L (sold)
            1981 GS750L (current)
            1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
            1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
            1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
            1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
            1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
            1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
            1980 GS1100L (Janice)
            Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
            e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
              the cheaper option would probably be go out and buy the bike steve just suggested used. Easier too.
              yep i got to looking today at it...it basically would have to mount rideght where the battery sits...very doable, but i think i wont mess with it...not for now at least

reason i say ive realllllly wanted a gixxer...may save up for one..hell i dunno

Comment

Or just get some good looking shocks....

Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                X