katana forks on a gs700e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

katana forks on a gs700e

The stock front end on the gs700e is lacking to me. I was considering a few routes to go, salty_monk's upgrade to twin pot brakes was my first choice. but after seeing all the other rubber i had to replace (orings for compressed air) and the impossible (to me) fork cap removal i threw in the towel.

Billy ricks gsx-r swap looked dope. but i have none of the skill/expertise/knowledge to do that, plus i wanted to do this on a budget, and from the look billy's swap has the front wheel a little to close to the headers, though i'm sure he has it properly sprung and isn't a issue.

Anyway, did some research, found out that the gsx600 katana bearings are the same. the only thing in question was the stem length. one of the mechanics at the shop i do the books for has a katana with a complete front end that he took off to put in hayabusa front end so i bought the whole thing for 50 bucks (missing fender and handlebars)

That's where i am currently, everything bolts up fine. the stem is slightly short so i might mill out the upper triple tree so it sits lower and flush with the top of the stem. I also plan on running superbike bars so i have handlebar mounts on order. looks like this project will cost me 150, i have a 17inch front wheel, dual 4 pot calipers and slightly better forks which will be upgraded with better springs at a future date.

Here is the katana trees on the bike

one of the issues that needs addressing, the ignition barrel does not fit. i flipped it backwards so it's there but it won't lock and it is only secured by 1 bolt.

how she sits now.

New seals and a front tire is on order.

too late now, but i hope the stock controls are 7/8 because i ordered mounts that only work for 7/8 bars. will have better photos and possibly an update later.

I have some single bolt handlebar mounts to go on the top triple if you're in need...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Had a kat fork on mine for a while. Here is a pic.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Not to worry - your stock controls are 7/8th.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM. Reason: Initially entered 5/8th - silly me!

Comment

[QUOTE=kingofvenus;1829422]Had a kat fork on mine for a while.

Curious how the superior front end makes the stock back end feel? Was there accommodation for the taller front wheel as far a geometry goes, or is it riding higher now with the Kat front end and 17'' inch wheel.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            I have some single bolt handlebar mounts to go on the top triple if you're in need...
            thanks salty, too late though ordered mounts. i hope they work.

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
            Not to worry - your stock controls are 7/8th.
            thanks for the confirmation.

[QUOTE=Carter Turk;1830073]
            Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
            Had a kat fork on mine for a while.

Curious how the superior front end makes the stock back end feel? Was there accommodation for the taller front wheel as far a geometry goes, or is it riding higher now with the Kat front end and 17'' inch wheel.
            i was going to match the ride height of the old front end so i'll let the forks go more into the triple tree counting it doesn't touch my handlebars. i think if it's a longer distance then more effort is required to countersteer and it's slower.

Comment

[QUOTE=Carter Turk;1830073]
              Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
              Had a kat fork on mine for a while.

Handling was great, even with the tired original stock shock. I think the total diameter of the two wheels are close enough that there was no height differance. Also had the matching kat rear wheel on it too.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

well got around to getting it done,

here it is

bracket for clocks

not bad eh

and here she is in the nyc adv tag-o-rama

Comment

Working...
                X