my spring mod thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my spring mod thread

hi all, thought i would start a thread with some of my spring modification plans in it. on the list:

New gsxr gauges with working tach!
    twinpot brake mod
    new ss brake lines
    cartridge emulators with anti-dive block and removal
    fork seals
    new oil cooler lines (replacing the leakers on there now)
    front tire.

This will give my ES an essentially new front end, and hopefully cure some oil drips i've had.

Progress will not be too speedy, cause i have 3 kids under 4 and i work full time and i am lazy, especially when it is cold in the garage, but i will include pics. i know you clowns like pics.

I have much of this stuff figured out already, my biggest questions involve the cartridge emulators. I will be using racetech stuff, i know which model i need, EXCEPT...

is there a difference between the "dirt" and "street" emulators? they have a similar part number, except for an "s" designation on the "street" model. i can get the non-street part # on amazon for 120 bucks, pretty significant savings over the 170 listed on racetech's site. i have not contacted them yet, on searching here they seem to have....questionable customer support, so i figured i would ask here first.

lemme upload some teaser pics for you, get those posted for ya....

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

and here you go:

some complications:

the patient:

gauges:

brake components with some fresh paint:

any input would be appreciated!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

cute kids greg. as for emulators, i would call racetech. i encounter a lot of different stuff on my dual sport then on my street bike, the main difference is that a dirt emulator might have a faster flow rate then a street one because of all the differences you encounter on the trail. i think that a dirt emulator will be plush on the street which is good if your looking for a smooth ride but won't work well in the extremes. just my thoughts though.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

yeah, i figured they were different, just hopeful i could get the 120 price instead of 170. i wouldn't be that lucky.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

The only difference (if there is one) is the rate of the "blow off" spring. I suspect the off road ones have a stronger spring so more compression damping than the street ones if anything. They are all adjustable so you might find the dirt one with less turns on the preload works fine....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I picked up a set of sonic straight rate springs and the gold cartridge emulators for my gs1000 E. I got the street emulators off of amazon for 126 I think it was. Much cheaper than getting them from race tech directly. I don't know how they ride yet as we still have snow on the ground up here. I contacted race tech when I set them up and they help me set the spring for my weight and the ride I like. I also had to put 30W for oil in and racetech gave me a level for the oil. I went with red line oil.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

yeah, i can find just about any model emulators other than the fegv s3301 on amazon or ebay. the dimensions of the emulators is the same, could be the springs are different. guess i'm gonna have to call racetech on monday.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

amazon emulators ordered, a quick call to racetech confirms they are the identical unit. dancing happy smiley.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                  . dancing happy smiley.
                  Don't say it, show it.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

btw, if anyone is considering emulators, the amazon price, after i signed up for their credit card (which will be cut up, i am pretty disciplined with these things) was 73 bucks, shipped. can't hardly NOT get them at that price. i'm sure my kids will understand why i had to raid their savings.....
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Great now I've got emulator price envy.

Comment

just checked tracking, front tire, emulators, and new stereo for my car all due today! woot! today i will order brake and oil lines and fittings.

haven't heard about shipping yet from g&s suzuki, i think they have to get the parts in first then they ship. went with them instead of babbitts for a price discount, i am rethinking that....babbitts is right here in town, so i can pick up locally. between shipping and having to wait on parts, i think i am a little better off sticking with babbitts, paying taxes and having my parts available a week sooner. I'll post some pics of progress (if you can call disassembly progress...) tonight. getting pretty excited about the riding season.

Now that i have all my stuff for the ES, i REALLY need to focus on getting my wife's dream put back together. mebbe i'll start an "other projects" thread to help my motivation.....

greg
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

coupla boring pics for you.

yummy emulators. banana for scale.

disk mock up

that other project

disassembly so far

another project or 2:
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

also, i am going to order some stuff from eastern beaver, if anyone wants to combine an order to make the minimum, let me know, we can work something out!

greg
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                            X