Airbox Performance Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Performance Modifications

I've been contemplating which direction to go with my airbox. I like the reliability but it's quite large and ugly compared to pods. Pods look great but are quite finicky. I want to gusset my frame eventually, but that places an X brace behind the carbs which is why I'm considering pods...

This weekend I helped my buddy with his GSXR750 and we had to remove the airbox, and it got me thinking. CV carbs like smooth air to lift the slides which is the main issue with pods... and velocity stacks in theory would work best with CV's but they aren't well suited for the street.

The GS airbox has some small rubber velocity stacks built in, and the newer GSXR has evolved this with nice large bell mouths.

Would replacing the small molded stacks in the stock airbox for some modern bell mouths work? Then it would be possible to tune the length for peak HP/torque as well.

To go a step farther, you could replace the metal airbox with a large cylinder filter for more flow. I've seen a member here who did that successfully. It would look nicer without side covers as well.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
    CV carbs like smooth air to lift the slides which is the main issue with pods.
    You are close, but still so far away.

The VM carbs like smooth air, too.

The main issue with pods is not the lack of "smooth air flow", it's the additional air that needs to have additional gas added.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well yea, re-jetting is important but from what I've been reading pods never work all that well on CV's because of the turbulent air. Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference, I dunno...

Comment

CVs can run fine with pods, I have them on my 1100 and couldn't really ask for the carbs to be dialed in more. Like Steve said, the main problem is people not jetting them correctly.

Comment

I've run K&N's with CV's & VM no probs.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

One thing that you will notice about low-end pods versus K&N or some of the better ones is that the better pods actually have a fillet on the inside, basically like a trumpet, to smooth the flow. Cheap ones just have a square edge.

I don't know what your bike is like, but my GS airbox had factory trumpets built into the rubbers between the carbs and the airbox. I would assume they work well, but I got rid of them after they caught on fire due to a backfire out of the carbs. Pods were cheaper than a new airbox, heh.

Comment

Working...
            X